Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovery HD displayed as EFI Boot in (option) startup

When I select option startup at boot, two named icons are displayed, namely:

(1) Andromeda (internal startup disk) and (2) EFI Boot.

When I select EFI Boot the system boots into recovery mode.

The command "Diskutil list" in Terminal displays the following result:

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *121.3 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Andromeda 120.5 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

Is there a method of renaming 'EFI Boot' in the option startup list as "Recovery HD"?

Thank you for your feedback.

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD

Posted on Apr 2, 2016 6:57 PM

9 replies

Apr 2, 2016 10:14 PM in response to theratter

I appreciate your follow-up. In this instance, my system is working well when booting from the internal drive. I only confirmed, having started up with the option key depressed, that selecting EFI Boot booted into recovery mode. I am curious how this state (name change from Recovery HD) might have transpired. I did a delta update from 10.11.3 to 10.11.4 and then updated the Recovery HD partition to 10.11.4 using the method that uses the Lion Recovery Update from https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1464?locale=en_US.

Apr 3, 2016 9:51 AM in response to anticoolant

There are 2 ways to JUST rewrite the Recovery HD.

One is to download the full OS X El Capitan installer (unless you already have it) and reinstall on top of itself. You won't touch any apps, user accounts or data.

The 2nd is to download the full installer (unless you already have it) along with this utility. The utility will ask where your full installer is and then where you want to install. In your case, Andromeda. There are two buttons to click. You will want to click the 10.9 button. The developer hasn't updated that button to include 10.10 and 10.11. The utility works great and is faster than reinstall OS X. I've used this utility many times without issue.

However you decide to go, make sure you do a system back up first.

Apr 5, 2016 2:59 PM in response to keg55

Incremental (Time Machine) and image (Super Duper!) backup have been done as you recommended.

When I performed the full installation of 10.11.4, (option) startup now displays only the internal disk (Andromeda) in the startup manager list. There now is no display of EFI Boot.

The command "Diskutil list" in Terminal now displays the following result:

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

0: GUID_partition_scheme *121.3 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_CoreStorage Andromeda 120.5 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1 (internal, virtual):

0: Apple_HFS Andromeda +120.1 GB disk1

Logical Volume on disk0s2

8C3ED87A-E0CC-4A72-99A5-5033CBFC94BD

Unencrypted

The full installation (re)setup CoreStorage for the disk system. The CoreStorage setup must hide Recovery HD in the startup manager list displayed at (option) startup. I found some related commentary linked at the following article: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/180043/recovery-hd-is-not-showing-up-i s-it-because-of-filevault

Apr 5, 2016 8:08 PM in response to anticoolant

Yes, CoreStorage volumes hide the Recovery HD in the Startup Manager (Alt/Option). You have to use Command+R with CoreSorage volumes.

If you want to revert your CoreStorage back to the native file type, open Terminal and type diskutil cs list. At the bottom of the list you should see a line that says Revertible: Yes (or it may say no). If it says 'yes', then look about 3 lines up for the Disk: line. It should say disk1 to the right. Use that value with the following command: diskutil cs revert <from Disk:>

$ diskutil cs list

CoreStorage logical volume groups (1 found)

|

+-- Logical Volume Group 38738CDE-7111-4AA6-9642-FA86171808A7

=========================================================

Name: Macintosh HD

Size: 250140434432 B (250.1 GB)

Free Space: 18882560 B (18.9 MB)

|

+-< Physical Volume FC891F08-1F83-40E3-ACBC-F2E821C52B4C

| ----------------------------------------------------

| Index: 0

| Disk: disk0s2

| Status: Online

| Size: 250140434432 B (250.1 GB)

|

+-> Logical Volume Family 8C585BFE-F1D5-4D33-9C9D-E1C4D2BD28E9

----------------------------------------------------------

Encryption Type: None

|

+-> Logical Volume A23357E3-9A51-4902-A73E-6754A9EADE5B

---------------------------------------------------

Disk: disk1

Size (Total): 249769230336 B (249.8 GB)

Revertible: Yes (no decryption required)

LV Name: Macintosh HD

Volume Name: Macintosh HD

Content Hint: Apple_HFS

Apr 5, 2016 5:34 PM in response to keg55

Your clarification is appreciated. Originally, after doing the delta 10.11.4 update, I had used a script to update the recovery partition to 10.11.4. The script used the dmtest application extracted from the Lion Recovery Update package. Dmtest built the recovery partition using the hidden Basesystem chunklist and dmg found in the InstallESD.dmg inside the full "Install El Capitan.app". When I did not see the Recovery HD icon displayed in the startup manager, I (mistakenly) thought that Recovery HD should not be hidden and reverted CoreStorage using the diskutil cs revert UUID command. After reverting, EFI Boot appeared as an icon in the startup manager.

Recovery HD displayed as EFI Boot in (option) startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.