Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No, my problem is NOT solved: still can't sync some photos to iPad Pro from iMac

I posted this question yesterday, and after one response (which was not helpful, though I do appreciate Rudegar's having tried to help me), mysteriously my question was marked as "Solved" in the list of questions, so it's unlikely that more people will look at that thread. I can't figure out how to remove that "Solved" label, so I'm posting my question again.

I'm trying to sync selected photos from my iMac (running Mavericks 10.9.5) to my new iPad Pro (12.9 inch model, updated to iOS 9.3.1). I connect the iPad to the iMac, fire up iTunes (version 12.3.3.17, it says), select the iPad in iTumes and then the "Photos" tab over on the left. On the right I choose "Selected Folders," and in the "Folders" window below that I check the boxes for the folders that I want and click on "Apply" if it's there or "Sync" if that's the only option showing.

Every time, a few photos refuse to move over to the iPad. It's always the same ones, but I can't find any common characteristic (e. g., wrong extension or huge file size) that would explain why those photos won't go while everything else will. Typically in a folder with 20 photos, between 15 and 20 will move over to the iPad. But why won't the rest? This is really bugging me. I've tried unplugging and replugging the iPad, turning it off and on, quitting and restarting iTunes, and even putting the ones that won't sync into a special folder all of their own. No luck.

Can anybody help me out?

iPad Pro, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 3, 2016 12:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2016 10:47 AM

I am having the same problem Peter. Brand new iPad Pro 9.7 inch, bought today, running 9.3.1. MacBook Pro running Yosemite 10.10.5. I am still using iPhoto because I prefer it to Photos.

All my photos and folders sync just fine to my older iPad Air via iTunes. However on the new iPad Pro, not all the photos will sync across. It just quits about half way through syncing 3000 photos. So I only get around 1500 of them. Like you say, some folders have photos missing and I can't see any reason why the missing ones have not synced across. I have tried everything you have tried too. This is madness, and I'm cross considering this is the third brand new Apple product that I've bought inside a year, all of which have caused me problems with bugs in the software.

69 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2016 10:47 AM in response to peter.weld

I am having the same problem Peter. Brand new iPad Pro 9.7 inch, bought today, running 9.3.1. MacBook Pro running Yosemite 10.10.5. I am still using iPhoto because I prefer it to Photos.

All my photos and folders sync just fine to my older iPad Air via iTunes. However on the new iPad Pro, not all the photos will sync across. It just quits about half way through syncing 3000 photos. So I only get around 1500 of them. Like you say, some folders have photos missing and I can't see any reason why the missing ones have not synced across. I have tried everything you have tried too. This is madness, and I'm cross considering this is the third brand new Apple product that I've bought inside a year, all of which have caused me problems with bugs in the software.

Apr 3, 2016 11:21 AM in response to peter.weld

I can't help with your problem, but I wanted to check your other post as to the "solved" status you questioned. First, only the original poster (in this case: you) can mark a question solved; second, looking at your content page which lists all posts of yours, there is only one question listed: this one. So, I'm not sure what happened here - take a look:

peter.weld

Apr 3, 2016 11:51 AM in response to Caroline Lawrence

I came across this in my Googling of this problem:

About the iPod Photo Cache folder - Apple Support

I gave it a try, and thought it was going to work. Sadly, with just 75 photos out of 3000 to sync, it failed again. But I did at least get a bit further!

I'm at a loss to understand with my iPhones, iPad Mini and iPad Air will sync just fine, whilst the brand new iPad Pro 9.7 inch will not. They are all running the same system.

Apr 3, 2016 12:28 PM in response to Caroline Lawrence

However I have discovered that if I take a screenshot of the missing photos on another iPad - which has the missing photos on it - then upload to Photostream, then into iPhoto, crop it as required and put into the relevant album - it syncs perfectly! However I really cannot do that for around 350 photos. As it seems to be all older photos which will not sync, I am wondering if the resolution is too small or something like that? Really odd.

Apr 3, 2016 5:44 PM in response to babowa

Babowa, I'm certainly not ruling out the possibility that I accidentally clicked on something that marked my earlier question as "Solved." I just wish I knew how to unmark it because I think fewer people will look at a thread if it's already marked as "Solved." Is there a way to unmark something after it's been marked as "Solved"?

Apr 3, 2016 5:50 PM in response to Caroline Lawrence

Caroline, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only person having problems syncing photos. I'm not using iPhoto; I'm outputting the JPEGs from Lightroom into folders and then trying to sync those folders through iTunes. As I mentioned before, I can't find any common characteristic shared by the photos that won't sync; it's not the size or the date (the date on which they were taken or the date on which they were output as JPEGs). Your workaround (cropped screen shots) is interesting but probably won't help me because I need something of rather high resolution—but thanks for suggesting it. If you learn of a solution, please pass it on.

Apr 3, 2016 6:27 PM in response to Caroline Lawrence

Caroline Lawrence wrote:

However I have discovered that if I take a screenshot of the missing photos on another iPad - which has the missing photos on it - then upload to Photostream, then into iPhoto, crop it as required and put into the relevant album - it syncs perfectly! However I really cannot do that for around 350 photos. As it seems to be all older photos which will not sync, I am wondering if the resolution is too small or something like that? Really odd.

This might indicate some kind of corruption in the original photos. If you have a backup of the problem photos on another hard disk restore those to your iMac and try syncing again. If you don't have a backup of the photos, I suggest you begin a backup strategy to keep important photos and documents safe.

Apr 3, 2016 7:39 PM in response to peter.weld

Peter,

It sounds like I am having a very similar issue. I have a brand new iPad Pro 9.7. I have approx 5,000 photos across 40 albums. I have these same photos/albums across my iPhone 6 and another iPad. However, for some reason with this new iPad, I can only get 17 of the 40 albums to copy over.

I have restarted the iPad numerous times, the computer, iTunes, started the iPad fresh again, synced countless times, tried deleting the ipod photo cache, etc, but nothing has worked. It's very frustrating when your new device will not behave as well as your old devices!

I am working on an iMac, OS X El Capitan, Version 10.11.13, iPad OS 9.3.1. I do not use iPhoto and am not having this issue with any of my other devices.

Apr 3, 2016 7:43 PM in response to Matthew Hodges1

Matthew, I haven't tried syncing photos to any other devices (I have an iPhone and an older iPad), so I can't say whether it works with them, but it's certainly frustrating not to be able to get it to work with the new iPad. I bought the iPad specifically to be able to use it to show my photos to magazine editors, but some of my best photos are among those that won't sync. I hope we can get to the bottom of this.

Apr 3, 2016 7:51 PM in response to peter.weld

Peter,

Have you noticed any theme with regard to the age of the photos that will not sync to the iPad?

I have no idea why this would be, but it seems like the photos that have copied over are newer ones (2012-2015); whereas, anything that is older does not copy.

If no one posts a solution, I will try to contact Apple Support in the next few days.

Matt

No, my problem is NOT solved: still can't sync some photos to iPad Pro from iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.