Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Startup disk almost full error but I have 400GB free

I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro and for the past few days I've been getting a message saying that my startup disk is almost full but I have more than 400GB free. I also get an error message when I use the terminal but not as often. I don't know what to do about this, any help is appreciated.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 3, 2016 1:13 AM

10 replies

May 11, 2016 2:11 AM in response to ZombieButter

increase hard disk space : support.apple.com/kb/ph22193 follow this article if your web mail is configured with mail app ( means configured with vulture logo from dock ) . open mail app : go to top menu bar - click on mail box - click on erase deleted items from all accounts , then secondly erase deleted item from mac .

also go to iTunes - if you are using duplicate files , duplicate songs , photographs occupy hard disk space . if they are remove them .

also go to system library - in caches folder - remove all contents of it . then go to user library - remove contents of caches , cookies , saved application state in trash .

also go to download folder lot of .dmg files if exist empty them . sometimes it is better to empty entirely download folder . why to download lot of things .

after that restart from apple logo click : shift + command + delete - hit enter its gone from system .

why don't use notes . if any article you want to save open the article if desired matter is to be saved use 3 fingers to select it and copy paste in notes .

in el capitan if one is using we can drag & drop the links of songs , websites directly . click on the link directly from notes .

in case don't want to use the link can delete it .

means why to download & occupy hard disk space .

May 13, 2016 11:51 PM in response to appreciate

is mail box exceeding 18.25 GB limit . to verify it open the mail app . select inbox & please right click on it . then click on get account info - then on summary.

if they are exceeding delete unwanted mails in inbox / send to trash .

also delete large messages with attachments . so how to verify it : close all applications by using key board short cut : command + tab + Q . then click command + F . a window will be opened click sort by at the top of the message list & choose size from pop up menu .

choose view > message attributes > size .

delete attachments that are saved . choose messages > remove attachments but the message remains in the mail box & mail indicates attachments were manually removed .

also choose mail box > erase deleted items then choose to remove from all accounts or a specific account or from mac

in the end restart from apple logo & empty the trash .

by deleting caches contents from system library & caches , cookies , saved application state contents from user library somewhat increase the hard disk space .

now, how to verify it . open disk utility directly from spotlight : click on mac HD - then click on others - some figure will be there for example : 8.3 GB note it down please . if one has deleted the caches , cookies contents that i have mentioned respectively in system library & user library . then again go to disk utility in others the figure has been reduced .

multiple photographs , songs in iTunes , lot of junk .dmg files in download folder is one of the reason to occupy hard disk space .

May 14, 2016 5:52 AM in response to lllaass

The posts by appreciate are contradictory.

• In the first post, appreciate wrote "... somewhat increase the hard disk space."
  • In the second post, appreciate wrote "...decreases the hard disk space."

The statement would be much clearer if it stated either that deleting those caches "somewhat increases the free space on the hard disk" or it stated that deleting those caches "somewhat decreases the amount of space used on the hard disk".

Startup disk almost full error but I have 400GB free

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.