Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband does not launch after updatingEl Capitan

Hi Macbrain world, I run a Macbook pro and after updating to 10.11.4 Garageband does not launch. I deleted old app which worked with Lion and installed garageband again.

Same problem,does not launch in fact crashes every time I try to launch. I have now taken any reference to GB out of library and will try and install again am I on right track as I think same will happen. What can be stopping it launch.

Any Ideas welcomeThanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 3, 2016 7:14 AM

16 replies

Apr 5, 2016 5:10 PM in response to léonie

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileHI Leonie,Thank you for replying.I had an older version of garageband which worked on LION. I upgraded to EL Capitan and this version did not work (Crashed would not launch). I then cleared /removed old version and downloaded GB !0.1.0. thinking this might help but alas and alack same problem.

I am attaching what I think is crash report from console. Hope with your help we can solve this problem.Thank YOu

Apr 5, 2016 5:29 PM in response to Zorro123

There have been several reports, that GarageBand 4.1.2 is crashing on El Capitan.

But GarageBand 10.1.0 is running well on El Capitan.

If GarageBand is crashing it is usually caused by incompatible audio interfaces, sound fonts, or audio Units. YOu can only use 64-bit plug-ins with GarageBand, see: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203837

Do you have any other audio software installed, that might be interfering?

Apr 6, 2016 6:48 PM in response to léonie

Thank you for your reply. Sorry I cannot always come back promptly and also being in Australia there is the time diff.

Anyway case in hand. I do not believe I have any audio software installed other than itunes. I read the article re plug ins that might need updating but how can I check this ? However as GarageB was working well before I updated somehow think El Capitan is involved.Is there a process Leonie that I can systematically work through to eliminate this problem.

Thank you for your time on this.

Apr 7, 2016 1:14 AM in response to Zorro123

To narrow down the problem, make the following tests: Try first to get Garageband 10 to work, since it is the currently supported version on your system.

• Try to find out, if it is the current project that cannot be opened. Hold down the options key while launching GarageBand 10. Keep holding down the options key, until you are seeing a file chooser panel or the main menu bar with the file menu. Try to create a new project. Does that work? Can GarageBand 10 launch on a new project without crashing?
  • If not, start your Mac in Safe mode and try to launch GarageBand in Safe mode. Safe Mode will disable all non-standard system extensions. See: Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode Does it work in Safe Mode?
  • If not, test for problems in your own user account (preferences files etc) , by trying to start GarageBand from a different user account, see this guide: Isolating an issue by using another user account

If all fails, try to reinstall the system. if you just upgraded by installing an update, some basic system components may be missing or incompatible. It frequently helps to reinstall by booting into the Recovery Partition. You need a stable internet connection to do this. By booting into Recovery you can install a fresh copy of your system on top of the current system without having to wipe the drive and reinstall everything. OS X: About OS X Recovery

Apr 20, 2016 5:25 AM in response to Zorro123

Hi Leonie, Sorry for delay in replying but have not be able to get a clear go on this until now. Unfortunately no success to report.

I worked my way through all suggestions,holding down option key while attempting to launch GB,tried to start in safe mode,set up a different user account on this computer then finally reinstalling EL Capitan in the recovery mode. Each time I tried to launch GB it dropped out and computer went into restart.

Whilst in recovery also tried first aid on Disk utility.

So this is the only application I have trouble with and does not open since upgrading to EL Cap. Although I still have trouble with photo booth and skype etc where camera shows "not connected". However this was also a problem when GB was working with Lion before the upgrade so doubt if same cause.I am sending also part of the automatic generated report. If there is any thing else you can think of it would be appreciated but understand it is a bit difficult.Something else to mention is that I upgraded the disk drive to a SSD from original traditional HDD but all was working fine as I have said its just the leap to EL Cap.Appreciate any thoughts at all you may have. Thank you.User uploaded fileI am

Apr 20, 2016 5:52 AM in response to Zorro123

That looks worse than the first crash report. Now it is a panic report. GarageBand is making the system crash.

The problem is probably your older GarageBand version. I have not seen any report by users here, that GarageBand 4.12 is working on El Capitan.

Consider to upgrade your GarageBand to the most recent version GarageBand 10.1.1.

You will probably not like it at first, because it is very different from your GarageBand version, but it has interesting new features like smart instruments and the user interface is more like Logic Pro X:

Or purchase iLife '11 and upgrade to the last iLife version of GarageBand, GarageBand 6.0.5. It is closer to the version you are now using. Both these versions can run on El Capitan.

Apr 26, 2016 4:34 AM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie,Operating on 10.11.4 I dowloaded Garageband latest version again on 22 April version 10.1.1 crash again panic report (attached)

I tried to fine iLife'11 in App store could not locate.So I have drawn a blank on all suggestions to date !!

I looked at your previous notes where you said the fault may be connected to audio plug ins .How do I find out if I'm using 64 bit plug in or not.

All other applications as far as I know work so there is something only about GB that only uses some specific components that other applications do not need. I need to isolate what components they are.

I am aware that I have used a lot of your time on this already but there IS a reason for this problem. Its just that trying to find the reason/cause that is so frustrating.However do you have any further suggestions I might try at this stage.

Regards User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Apr 26, 2016 4:59 AM in response to Zorro123

I tried to fine iLife'11 in App store could not locate.So I have drawn a blank on all suggestions to date !!

iLife '11 is no longer sold by Apple. You can only find installer DVDs at eBay or Amazon. The AppStore only has the most current version GarageBand 10.1.1.

A repeated Panic report can indicate a hardware problem.

I am not a system expert. I'll look, if someone else can help.

I looked at your previous notes where you said the fault may be connected to audio plug ins .How do I find out if I'm using 64 bit plug in or not.

Look at the Library folder at the top level of your system drive, then open the folder Audio, then Plug-ins. Check the installed items, if they are older. If you are having lft-overs from older applications, look at the web pages of the manufacturers, if the software is compatible with El Capitan.

May 2, 2016 12:13 AM in response to TildeBee

Thank you both Leonie & Bee for your advice and I am sorry if I do not reply sooner but I have to set out some time to comment on your advice properly.

Leonie, I have not yet purchased iLife11 from ebay or Amazon as yet but will do so as a last result.

I looked in library and there does not seem to be anything in plug ins i.e. empty(although I did hear somewhere that apple hides these).

Looking at a previous post of yours 9 Jan of this year in reply to Stefan 344 you said remove the complete folder in Library containers is it worth me doing this(I attached copy of library section).

Finally I note how this may be a hardware problem and this is not you area of expertise but I really appreciate all your comments and suggestions,Thank You.

Bee, I have uninstalled McAfee and yes I had Lion and went straight to El Capitan did not go via Mavericks or anything.

Regards

ZorroUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

May 3, 2016 12:28 PM in response to Zorro123

Bee, I have uninstalled McAfee

Zorro . . .

McAfee is still there, according to your EtreCheck report.

Did you edit ANYthing out of that report?

Can you go to Disk Utility in your Applications > Utilities folder, select your HD in the window, and take a shot like this one, OK?

I want to make sure you aren't running out of HD space.

User uploaded file

Garageband does not launch after updatingEl Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.