Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"itunes has stopped working" Win 10

Hi all,

iTunes was working fine for me in Win10, until the latest update. (12.3.3.17) Now, every time I start iTunes, I get the "iTunes has stopped working" message and the program shuts down. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program as detailed here...

Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates

...but the program still "stops working."

My system Win10 Home, 64-bit, all the latest updates. iTunes is 64-bit, too.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Windows 10

Posted on Apr 3, 2016 10:00 AM

9 replies

Apr 3, 2016 10:45 AM in response to Barliman

I had lots of problem with my iTunes crashing / freezing-up after I upgraded to the latest version also.

In my case, the symptoms were different, but after trying lots of potential solutions that had no effect at all, I discovered the following useful post on here:

Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash

Whilst the symptoms are different, given that you've already tried re-installing the software, perhaps the issue may be related to your iTunes Library, or (as was my case), appeared to be an issue caused by Apple Music, that only manifested itself when accessing artists in iTunes that I'd previously set to "Follow" in Apple Music!?

After I disabled showing Apple Music (from General tab in iTunes Properties) as suggested in that article, suddenly my iTunes stopped freezing/crashing.

If your iTunes Library is potentially corrupt, the following Apple KB article should be very useful:

If you don't see your content after you update iTunes - Apple Support

Hope this helps! 🙂

Apr 3, 2016 11:17 AM in response to Barliman

UPDATE:

As you have Windows 10, remember that you could potentially use the very useful "Restore Previous Versions" function on your iTunes Library file.

Just right-click on the iTunes library file and select Restore Previous Versions from the menu.

You'll be presented with a small dialogue, showing all the previous automatically backed-up copies of the file (see screen-shot below, showing the options you will most-likely have - as should be switched-on by default in Windows 10 on any "user folders" within your Windows 10 profile folder).

User uploaded file

Apr 20, 2016 8:38 AM in response to JLD

Thanks for getting back to me, and sorry not to have reported back -- other things kept getting in the way. 😕

Anyway, no, I wasn't able to fix the problems using the methods described above. And I wasn't able to revert of a previous version, because one of the methods had me do a complete uninstall and reinstall. Hence, no previous version I could find.

I'm suprised proxy settings in Firefox and Chrome would cause problems, but I'll test it when I get home. I need them for work, though, so it will be annoying to find I have to turn them on and off. :/

Thanks for the advice! 🙂

Apr 24, 2016 5:57 PM in response to Barliman

Hi Barliman,

A few days after my last post to you on this thread, my iTunes started freezing-up again!

On further investigation, I found that setting the Windows 10 compatibility mode to Windows 8.1 greatly reduced the number of crashes/freeze-ups (but not completely).

I have since set it to use Windows 7 compatibility mode and have not had any crashes or freeze-ups since, so believe (in my case at least), I've solved the issue :-)

Here is what I did. Hopefully it will help you also:

1) Launched the Windows Task Manager.

User uploaded file

2) Click More Details.

3) Right-click on iTunes application & select Properties.

User uploaded file

4) Click on Compatibility tab.

5) Select "Run this program in compatibility mode for:".

6) Select "Windows 7" & click OK.

User uploaded file

7) Close & Re-open iTunes.

My iTunes has been working perfectly since (for the last couple of weeks), so clearly there are some compatibility issues with the current version of iTunes with Windows 10, but thankfully, the Windows 7 compatibility mode appears to resolve those issues.

NOTE - I did not need to change any proxy settings in any of my internet browsers.

"itunes has stopped working" Win 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.