Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Smart Keyboard Corrosion on Magnetic Strip Side?

Hello,

Wanted to see if anyone with iPad Pro and Smart Keyboard has had the same issue. Today i removed my iPad Pro protective case to clean a bit, and also removed the smart keyboard which i had not removed since purchased; aproximate 2 months ago. When I removed the magnetic strip part of the keyboard, noticed right away two spots with brown "corrossive" like spots in the right side of the smart connectors (if iPad screen is facing front). Passed my fingers on top of the magnetic strip and brown spots came to my finger exactly as corrosion. It was some kind of build up that happened during these two months. That was not there when purchased. Immediately verified the iPad side to see and it was worse. Some how that "corrosion" made also a spot on the ipad aluminum side, it was brown also and if I pass my finger nail through it, it feels as if it caused a very micro sized dent in the surface of the ipad. This product being relatively new in the market, came here to the board to see if this had happened to anyone and see if this was an issue. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

BestRegards, David

SMART KEYBOARD FOR IPAD PRO 12.9-INCH, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 3, 2016 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 3:52 PM

I’ve gone 12 rounds again today with the store and with apple care on this issue. It seems they are just playing dumb on this issue so they don’t have to replace or repair a lot of iPads. Same as a lot of you have said before...managers pretending like they don’t know what I’m talking about people on the phone not being helpful for the most part. This is the worst customer service I’ve gotten from apple in my entire life. User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2017 3:52 PM in response to winchaman

I’ve gone 12 rounds again today with the store and with apple care on this issue. It seems they are just playing dumb on this issue so they don’t have to replace or repair a lot of iPads. Same as a lot of you have said before...managers pretending like they don’t know what I’m talking about people on the phone not being helpful for the most part. This is the worst customer service I’ve gotten from apple in my entire life. User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Jul 5, 2017 7:09 AM in response to Jamesdw

Similar to my problem, I'm on my third keyboard and keeps happening. Apple will replace the keyboard and have also the iPad one but will not acknowledge the problem and keep saying 'I've never seen this before etc etc'. The above is true of the authorised repair stores too

The best way I've found to fix this which others have suggested is to put a small piece of clear heavy duty tape on the keyboard magnet - this has worked for me

The better solution I found to actually get the marks off the iPad was to use toothpaste and rub until removed - this worked for me but I'd advise testing on a small area first as toothpaste can be abrasive. I remove my cover weekly and clean both to stop it happened now but won't be buying the cases again

If only Apple would acknowledge this and fix or refund people !

Aug 5, 2016 8:36 PM in response to winchaman

This happens to my iPad Pro 9.7 Smart Keyboard too. I've already exchanged it once at my nearest AT&T Store (over the one year warranty) and I'm going tomorrow to exchange it again since is presenting the same rust stains. Before the Apple Smart Keyboard I was using the Smart Cover (Stone color) and still as new as the same day. I wonder what's happening with the Smart Keyboard quality.

Aug 5, 2016 11:33 PM in response to ORoldan06

One of the things you could do which is what I did with my smart covers for my iPad 2 and 3 was to put a long thin strip of clear tape ( I used heavy duty clear packing tape cut thin with straight edge and utility knife or an Xacto knife) and placed it in along the area of where magnets on the cover attach to the magnets inside the iPad.

This way the cover magnets still catch and the magnet doesn't make direct contact with the aluminum case on outside as the tape acts as a buffer/barrier.

It's the fact that the cover magnets are made from iron or steel and it causes an oxidation reaction when the steel magnets come in contact with iPad's aluminum back case.

You can't do anything with magnets inside of the iPad's aluminum case (if this is leaving corrosion oxidation marks on the inside), but you can create a barrier to keeps this reaction from happening on the outside of the iPad's case from the case's magnets coming in contact with the iPad's alumium back surface.

I am not sure why this is happening as Apple has been covering the different iPad smart covers completely in silicone or leather and this includes covering up the steel magnets in the same material to create a similar buffer/barrier against the steel/aluminum oxidation issue.

But the added clear tape on contact area of the smart cover/keyboard cover on the iPad would create an additional buffer against this as does not effect the strength of the cover magnets against the iPad.

Nov 26, 2016 8:19 PM in response to winchaman

Have the same issue on my 12.9"...

Went to the Walnut Creek Apple Store, and they told me to call Apple support as they do not warranty products in the store. Poor customer service, imo, from the "manager?" She didnt even have a name tag.

When I showed this to the first line of support, he directed me to the Accessories dept... The accessories guy told me to go to the support line... That's when the "manager" lady told me to call AppleCare support after looking at my keyboard for about 5 seconds, looking perplexed on why it would have rust...

Smart Keyboard Corrosion on Magnetic Strip Side?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.