Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is there a way to block my lost phone?

Have lost my phone and apparently its no connected to iCloud and i dont have a "find my phone" app. I did not have a passcode on it. Is there any way i can block it from anyone using it?

iPhone 5s

Posted on Apr 3, 2016 2:11 PM

13 replies

Apr 3, 2016 2:19 PM in response to KahliaW

I can't recall exactly but didn't find my iPhone get installed automatically when the iOS was installed? If you didn't have it on your phone or a passcode it's pretty much open to let anyone do what they want with it. I would log into iCloud.com and double check to see that your phone isn't listed in find my iPhone. Try that asap. You should also check support profile.apple.com, if you log in there with your apple id used on the phone you can see if your phone is listed there. If it is, it's associated with your apple ID and the person possessing your phone won't be able to associate it with theirs. Check out those options to see if you have any options.

Apr 3, 2016 2:27 PM in response to KahliaW

lost/stolen

No app on the iOS device is required.

- If you previously turned on FIndMyiPod/iPhone/iPad on the iOS device in Settings>iCloud and wifi is on and connected or cellular data is on and connected for, on a computer browser go to iCloud: Find My iPhone, sign in and go to FIndMyiPhone. If the iPod has been restored it will never show up or continue to show off-line.

- You can also wipe/erase the iOS device and have the device play a sound via iCloud.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen

iCloud: Erase your device

iCloud: Use Lost Mode

- If not shown, then you will have to use the old fashioned way, like if you lost a wallet or purse.

- Change the passwords for all accounts used on the device and report to police and carrier if iPhone or cellular iPad

- There is no way to prevent someone from restoring the erase (it erases it) using it unless you had iOS 7 or later on the device. With iOS 7 or later, one has to enter the Apple ID and password to restore the device.

- Apple will do nothing without a court order

Reporting a lost or stolen Apple product

-

iOS: How to find the serial number, IMEI, MEID, CDN, and ICCID number

Apr 3, 2016 3:26 PM in response to KahliaW

Oh that's very disappointing. I'm sorry there's not more you can do. As a last resort, try going to the supportprofile.apple.com and try adding new product if you know your phone's serial number. It will be on the box or paperwork it came with. If no one has tried yet, you can still tie it to your Apple ID... but if it says its liked to another, it's too late.

Apr 4, 2016 6:53 AM in response to KahliaW

Nice! That means that no one else can associate it with their Apple ID. So it's lost and likely not stolen. You'd think that a thief would have by now tried to use their ID on it. Have you tried calling the phone to see if someone answers? You could offer a small reward for its return. Or text it and says its lost and leave your info on it. If someone finds it and checks it out they'll see your text. If they are honest they might contact you.

Apr 4, 2016 7:03 AM in response to rjsummer

rjsummer wrote:

Nice! That means that no one else can associate it with their Apple ID. So it's lost and likely not stolen. You'd think that a thief would have by now tried to use their ID on it. Have you tried calling the phone to see if someone answers? You could offer a small reward for its return. Or text it and says its lost and leave your info on it. If someone finds it and checks it out they'll see your text. If they are honest they might contact you.

Of course they can. Simply registering a device with your support profile does not restrict anyone from doing anything with the device if they have their hands on it. Activation Lock is ONLY enabled if the device had an active iCloud account already set up on it with location services enabled and had find my iPhone active on it. Registering the serial number now with apple support does nothing to restrict use of the device by anyone.

To the OP, did you at least have a screen lock passcode/fingerprint set up on it? At least they would not be able to get into any content if so. But without iCloud and find my iPhone enabled on it, anybody with it can simply erase and restore it as new in iTunes, activate it and use it as their own. Your content would be blown away, but without Actication Lock active on the device, there is nothing to stop them from activating and using it. If you reported it to your carrier, it should be blacklisted at least on their network and any networks they share blacklisting information with.

Apr 4, 2016 7:16 AM in response to Michael Black

They can't associate the device itself with another Apple ID. Try to go to the support site and enter someone's serial. It tells you you can't because its associated with another Apple ID. Over never messed with a device to see what you CAN do with it in that situation but making a serial link in the support page wintdo any harm to the true owner.

Apr 4, 2016 8:29 AM in response to rjsummer

Yes, they cannot associated that serial number with their user support profile. But the user support profile has absolutely no affect at all with what someone with the device in their actual hands can do with it. The ONLY tools that limit what someone can do with it, when it is in their physical possession are the screen lock passcode, and Activation Lock, which is enabled via Find my iPhone and an iCloud account. Nothing else restricts what someone can do with any iDevice in their hands - as I said, without Activation Lock, but with a screen lock passcode, they can erase and restore it in iTunes and use it to their heart's content. And yes indeed, they can register it with their own iCloud account and ID, and they can use their AppleID in iTunes, App and iBook stores.

With Activation Lock in place, they could not activate it at all, regardless of screen lock passcode or not.

Serial number in support web site - does nothing at all to what anyone with physical possession of the device can do with it. When people legitimately sell or trade a device, most likely do not erase the device from their supported device list, or at least not right away. That does not stop the new owner from doing whatever they wish with what is now their device. The support site is just a convenience service by Apple so users can see what devices they have and what coverage applies (or no longer applies) to those devices.

is there a way to block my lost phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.