Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to export 4k videos to YouTube

After editing a 4k movie clip in iMovie on iPhone 6s, I'm unable to export it to YouTube in 4k.

The scroll menu includes up to "4k" but after tapping on "share", two overlaying pop ups appear and disappear in a fraction of a second. I think one of the pop up says "unable to upload to YouTube". They disappeared too quickly for me to catch more than a fleeting glimpse every time.

However, if I were to choose 1080, it uploads to YouTube just fine. The edited movie clip is less than 10min.

What can I do to resolve this? I purchased this app just to edit and upload videos to YouTube in 4k. Now it just seems like a waste of both time and money. Is refund possible if there's no solution to this? I call false advertisement in its description.

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 3, 2016 5:57 PM

5 replies

Mar 31, 2017 2:14 AM in response to Mimopi

For whatever reason, the native iOS YouTube uploader will allow you to upload 720p and 1080p videos to YouTube without a problem, but when you try to upload a 4k video, it only gives you the “standard definition” option. The best workaround for this is to just use iMovie to upload the video. After you record a video, just load it up in iMovie, select the upload to YouTube option, and you’re all set. It’s a silly workaround, but it does the trick. You can also choose to directly upload the iPhone 4K video to YouTube on Mac computer since the YouTube app on Mac supports 4K video.

Apr 20, 2016 5:23 PM in response to Mimopi

Did you ever resolve this? I'm having the same issue. I recorded a :52 video in 4k and have tried to upload it to youtube, and nothing seems to work. I upload direct to youtube and it tries to give it standard definition. I use iMovie, and create the video, but when I try to upload it, it exports with no issue, but continuously receive a "failed to upload" error message. I've tried it through wifi, LTE, thinking it may have a high enough upload speed. I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out. I have the current release of iMovie for iOS, so I'm running out of options.

Apr 22, 2016 6:11 PM in response to 2011R1raven

No, I haven't found a way to upload 4k videos through iMovie.

But I found that it's possible to upload to YouTube in 4k in a more roundabout way. Export your edited movie from iMovie to your album, connect your iPhone to your pc, transfer the video clip to your computer and then upload to YouTube from there. The uploaded video doesn't look as good as it does in the original edited file (on iPhone) despite YouTube having the option to set the watching quality to 4K, but it is clearer than when uploaded in 1080p.

Apr 23, 2016 1:36 PM in response to Mimopi

Yea I have no issue uploading from my MacBook Pro to YouTube through iMovie. If I record 4K video with my 6s it transfers as 1080p when I look at the file info on my laptop. I have an early 2008 15" MacBook Pro which obviously doesn't support 4K as far as viewing goes, but you would think the file would remain viewable as 4K on supported platforms. It also does this if I transfer direct to a save folder or into Photos program on my laptop.

Unable to export 4k videos to YouTube

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.