Related Article: How to reset your AirPort base station

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airport stops working intermittantly

Checking to see if there is a software update for the airport. My router stops working and can't pinpoint the cause.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Apr 3, 2016 9:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2016 11:45 PM

Not for the last 2 years..

Tell us more details.

What model is the airport?

What firmware does it have?

What modem do you have and who is your ISP?

There are a number of current issues with Cox cable in places they are running out IPv6. There are also issues with some cable modems.. particularly single port SB series.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2016 11:45 PM in response to Do0ver

Not for the last 2 years..

Tell us more details.

What model is the airport?

What firmware does it have?

What modem do you have and who is your ISP?

There are a number of current issues with Cox cable in places they are running out IPv6. There are also issues with some cable modems.. particularly single port SB series.

Apr 4, 2016 6:42 AM in response to Do0ver

Good questions.

First, it is an Airport Time Capsule version 7.7.3 with 2 TB of memory. Uncertain of the firmware version.

When I say it stops working, more specifically, it does not access the internet. I can look at it on the utility app. The time capsule is on but, not connected to the internet. Once I unplug it and plug it back in, it works fine. Will work for a while and I will have to repeat the process.

Cox is the provider. Not sure of the modem (i will have to get into the smart panel).

Apr 6, 2016 5:46 AM in response to Do0ver

I just got off of the phone with Cox because my internet stopped working.

We found the problem to be with my airport and she said that a recent software update is causing a conflict.

Here is what we did to resolve it:

go to aiport utility app

edit advanced

ipv6

take from automatic to link local only

update settings

router will reboot

go to www.test-ipv6.com.. it should say IPV6 is turned off...

I am no expert and don't know why this became a problem.. but it did work.

It sounds like IPV6 is a new protocol to free up more ip addresses.

Apple? Is it true that there is an issue between COX and the airport routers? Does this relate to IPV6 vs IPV4? What are the downsides of this solution?

Apr 4, 2016 7:21 AM in response to AZ-TLC

she said that a recent software update is causing a conflict.

But....Apple has not made a recent software update in over 2 years. Kind of makes the statement made by Cox person look quite silly.

However.....Cox has made a number of changes on their systems trying to implement new IPv6 service. Things were working fine with Apple routers up until a few weeks ago when Cox made changes to their service. Of interest.....other major providers like Comcast and Time Warner are not having problems at all with IPv6 and Apple routers.

So, the change was made by Cox. Now, if you check the Cox website, they have a statement there that they have now determined that Apple routers are not compatible with the changes that have been made by Cox.

By disabling the iPv6 service on the AirPort router, you may find that the connection is more stable......but you are still paying for service that you cannot use. A friend of mine, who is using Cox, worked out an agreement that Cox would reduce his monthly bill by 50% until the problem that Cox created is resolved.

Apr 5, 2016 11:34 AM in response to Bob Timmons

This is exactly the problem I had starting 2 months ago with Cox. 2 technicians have come out and said everything was ok. Cox told me about 6 times it was my network that was the issue. so i bought a new apple extreme (ac) and it still does it. finally someone at cox one late night told me he heard airports were double stacking IP addresses and he didn't know how to fix it. I will try turning off IPv6 and see what happens. maybe i should dump cox.

Apr 5, 2016 11:39 AM in response to im_scott

from the cox website:

Are there any known incompatibilities with IPv6?

The majority of retail home routers, especially those produced within the last few years, are fully IPv6-compatible. Cox has determined that Apple AirPort Extreme routers, including Time Capsule models, can experience Internet connectivity problems when running IPv6 on firmware versions 7.7.3 and earlier. Customers can resolve the issue by disabling IPv6 from the AirPort Utility on the iOS or OS X device. For more information and steps to resolve, contact Apple Support.

May 1, 2016 7:57 AM in response to ocitrus

well I followed the advice above from cox.....it worked for awhile and then started the same issue. so went back and it still does it. cox supervisor just came to house and he says "oh yea, apple routers don't work with our upgrade....sorry." so pondering whether to dump apple router or dump cox. but i will ask for reduction in bill for sure.

airport stops working intermittantly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.