Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi I can't find the cuda switch in my PowerMac g4 dual mirrored, What is the difference between resetting pram by keyborard or cuda?

Hi

I can't find the cuda switch in my PowerMac g4 dual mirrored, 1,00

What is the difference between resetting pram by keyborard or cuda?

Switching on the opened Mac I can see a little red light and listen the classic sound

but nothing appear on monitor.

Connecting by firewire with my Mini mac I can see and backup the PowerMac hd

The battery was produced in Dec 2012 (that is strange, cause I've bought the dual

years before and never changed)

Thanks for attention and sorry for my english...

Posted on Apr 4, 2016 4:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2016 1:49 PM

First I need to caution you. The G4 MDD does NOT have a CUDA button like older Macs--it has a PMU reset button. The difference is that, for a computer with the PMU system like yours, you give the button ONLY one short push, no longer than one second.

If you treat it like it is a CUDA button and hold it for 20 seconds, you will seriously harm your computer. That said, this image shows the location of the PMU reset button in a G4 MDD:

User uploaded file

What is the difference between resetting pram by keyboard or cuda?

As your G4 does not have CUDA reset capability, this becomes a moot point. In older Macs (Beige G3 and older--teh "Old World ROM" Macs) resetting PRAM via the keyboard did not fully zero everything; the CUDA reset did.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2016 1:49 PM in response to Franko Gramatica

First I need to caution you. The G4 MDD does NOT have a CUDA button like older Macs--it has a PMU reset button. The difference is that, for a computer with the PMU system like yours, you give the button ONLY one short push, no longer than one second.

If you treat it like it is a CUDA button and hold it for 20 seconds, you will seriously harm your computer. That said, this image shows the location of the PMU reset button in a G4 MDD:

User uploaded file

What is the difference between resetting pram by keyboard or cuda?

As your G4 does not have CUDA reset capability, this becomes a moot point. In older Macs (Beige G3 and older--teh "Old World ROM" Macs) resetting PRAM via the keyboard did not fully zero everything; the CUDA reset did.

Hi I can't find the cuda switch in my PowerMac g4 dual mirrored, What is the difference between resetting pram by keyborard or cuda?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.