Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacPro 2013 and Turbo Boost

Hi all.

Just a curious thought, with no agenda.

Apple advertises the late 2013 MacPro 6,1 to have Intel Xeons with Turbo Boost when needed.

In my case, the 4 core 3.7ghz will TB to 3.9ghz.

I've recently downloaded Intel's Power Gadget app, and there it's evident that on my system, there is no Turbo Boost active.

On the Macbook Pro and a 2012 Mac Mini in the household, the Power Gadget app clearly shows when the CPU's go into Turbo Boost, and even how they behave when they thermo-throttle.

Any thoughts as to why this may be the case? And perhaps some of you could post your results? Intel's app is easily found and installed withy a quick google.

User uploaded file

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 4, 2016 8:18 AM

7 replies

Apr 6, 2016 12:15 AM in response to DonH49

Turbo Boost, from my understanding and seeing it in action on other macs, is not application related, and is a function controlled and regulated by the CPU.

Compared to a MacBook Pro and a Mac Mini, with an i5 and i7 cpu, it's easy to determine when the cpu's go into TB mode, and on the i7 it's very easy to see when the CPU thermo-throttles to keep the CPU from getting too hot.

The first reply is intriguing, as it may simply be the case, however there is a thread somewhere (I'll update here when I find it again) where a poster shows the Turbo Boost behaviour of his 6 Core Xeon in his nMacPro, and according to the log file generated by Intel Power Gadget, the clock frequency is clearly seen to go over the nominal CPU base frequency. However, in my case, no matter what I throw at it, 3.7ghz is the absolute roof, even when consulting the log files.

Both MacBook Pro and MacMini are virtually always in TB boost frequencies when the computer isn't idle... and doing even light tasks, the monitor will spike into the TB frequencies. The only time the clock speed is forcefully kept at the nominal base frequency is when the CPU hits 100ºC... this is doesn't happen with the i5 MacBook Pro, as it always stays bellow 100ºC, but with the i7 Mac Mini, it takes around 5 minutes until it thermo-throttles.

What I find odd is that my 4 core Xeon shows no sign of TB.

[UPDATE]

Link to the Turbo Boost thread for nMPro 6 core.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/nmp-turbo-boost.1694931/

Apr 6, 2016 8:59 AM in response to Tom Nelson1

Thank you. I am running the latest version from Intel's website, Version 3.0.1.

I honestly wouldn't know how to compile the GitHub version.

Apr 19, 2016 9:59 AM in response to Tom Nelson1

I downloaded Xcode, and went into Instruments.app. There, one can disable hyper threading or the number of cores you want...

User uploaded file

With selecting one core, and running a CPU intensive task, it's then easy to see that the 4-Core XEON does indeed overclock to 3.9ghz. The problem is, running one core may as well be called "operation extreme redundancy mode" since OSX always splits threads across many cores thus never activating TurboBoost. This can be seen by running a single "yes" command in Terminal, and looking at activity monitor CPU activity using around 25% of 4 cores.

To disable hardware multi-threading is an interesting thing to test, and whether it speeds up things with Adobe CS6 Photoshop. Seeing that CS5 Photoshop actually increased in speed by 7-10% with it off, I wonder if Adobe has actually bettered this behaviour in CS6. But thats off topic...

See the Intel Power Widget screenshot bellow to show the 4-Core XEON actually reaching a TB boost frequency of 3.9ghz.

User uploaded file

MacPro 2013 and Turbo Boost

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.