Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't create a new boot drive with my data

Hi guys, here's the problem: when I try to create a new boot drive with my data, I can't boot from that drive.

The boot progress bar takes forever and then I see a white circle with a line through it. (The "prohibited" / "Ghostbusters" sign.)

In verbose mode, it hangs on "pci pause: SDXC" for a while, then it clears the screen and shows the circle+line with "still waiting on root device" at the bottom left.

I can't boot to single-user mode; it just does the same thing as verbose mode. Same with safe mode. So I have limited options for debugging. I've done an SMC reset, no change. Is there anything else I should be trying?

Some extra information:

- I'm trying to boot off of a new SSD that I bought, currently in an external USB 3.0 enclosure. I know nothing is wrong with the enclosure since I've booted off of it many times in the past. I know nothing is wrong with the drive because I tried to do the same process with a different drive and it doesn't work in the same way.

- I've cloned my current boot drive to the new drive using SuperDuper!, Carbon Copy Cloner, and I've also done a clean install of El Capitan using recovery mode. The clean install worked fine until I migrated my old data.

- Therefore there must be something in my data that's hosing this whole process. I have no idea what that might be or how to track it down.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Apr 4, 2016 10:55 AM

25 replies

Apr 4, 2016 11:20 AM in response to motrek

It would help for you to tell what you did to "clone" your system. Please outline completely what you did. What make and model of new drive are you trying to use? Is it installed internally or externally? SuperDuper! is not reliable for cloning the newest version of OS X. I would not recommend it. The recommended way is to use Disk Utility. You can clone your existing startup drive by booting to the Recovery HD then running Disk Utility.

Apr 4, 2016 11:24 AM in response to theratter

well, yes, but he noted that he tried CCC which works great and reliably and tells you if its not so.

I'm wondering about a drive or drive cable problem with the new drive.Note: just because a cable or enclosure works with a spinning drive does nto mean it will work with an SSD, wchih demands much tighter timing and pulse shape control.

Grant

Apr 4, 2016 3:13 PM in response to Grant Lenahan

Regardless, Grant, if the original is corrupt then so is the clone no matter how you make it. As for permissions, I don't know if CCC changes the permissions of the source data to the ownership on the target if the two are different. But for this OP that is not the problem.

I don't think we should clutter the OP's topic with a debate over cloning. Please go ahead and give him/her a hand. I've made my remarks earlier. I only replied to you because you addressed me. 😎

Apr 4, 2016 3:16 PM in response to motrek

You most likely have migrated a corrupted file like a preference, cache, support, etc. You should at least see if you can boot into Safe Mode just to be sure. This is a slow startup and restart because some system cache files and temp files are removed. Then they are recreated on the following startup. After you determine there is no problem in safe mode, reboot normally. If this isn't a fix, then the problem is definitely in your data in your /Home/ folder.

Apr 5, 2016 1:32 AM in response to theratter

Okay, I'm a liar. I did another clean install to the drive to copy my data manually. The clean install rebooted fine the first time to get me to the prompts to create an account, migrate data, etc. This time I didn't migrate any data. I created a new account, chose to reboot, and BAM, circle + line. Same problem as when I clone my boot drive.

So now I'm not sure what to do. Safe mode doesn't work, it hangs before it gets to that point. I will try to install the new SSD internally... maybe it has something to do with booting via USB. That has always worked for me before but maybe Apple broke something.

Apr 5, 2016 12:37 PM in response to motrek

From Apple's article:

Prohibitory symbol

User uploaded file

When you see a circle with a slash symbol instead of the Apple logo, it means your Mac couldn't find a valid System Folder to start up from.

If you're using your Mac at a school or business, it might be trying to start from the wrong version of OS X. Contact your IT department for more help.

If this is your personal Mac, try reinstalling OS X by using OS X Recovery.

Be sure you prepped the drive correctly:

1. Boot to your Recovery HD. Restart and after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  3. When Disk Utility loads select the drive's (out-dented entry) from the side list.
  4. Click on the Partition tab in Disk Utility's main window. A panel will drop down.
  5. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  6. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  7. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate.
  8. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  9. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Apr 5, 2016 12:40 PM in response to theratter

You can also do the above directly from Apple's network servers:

Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command-Option-Rkeys until a globe appears. The Utility Menu will appear in several minutes, so be patient.

1. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  2. When Disk Utility loads select the hard drive (out-dented entry) from the side list.
  3. Click on the Partition tab in Disk Utility's main window. A panel will drop down.
  4. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  5. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  6. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate.
  7. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  8. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Can't create a new boot drive with my data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.