Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch 5th Generation stuck in recovery mode

I am not seeing anything on it anywhere. However, I 'bricked' my iPod Touch 5th Gen while applying the update from 9.2.x to 9.3.1. I held off on 9.3 as people around me ran into a similar issue with their iPhones but they were able to recover their phones - just with wiped data.

My experience:

1. Received the notice that 9.3.1 was available.
  2. Connected the device to my PC and backed it up with iTunes.
  3. Downloaded the update via iTunes and started the process of updating.
  4. Entered my PIN to unlock the device and authorize the update.
  5. Update started a few minutes later I received a notice that it failed and the device would need to be restored. (Error code was 3014 in my case.)
  6. Restore is only a "Restore and Update" option.

No matter what you do the device fails to ever restore.

The link they send you to is pointless: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201210

In my case everything was up to date. I restarted the system - multiple times. Forced restarts on the device. Put it into Recovery mode, etc. (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263)

There is no problem with my hosts file (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201442). I completely turned off my firewall and AV. I didn't have anything else plugged in other than the KB and Mouse... I even tried it from another computer - nothing.

Actually I never get a true "Restore" option - always started with restore but the next screen was restore and update.

I have seen a post were actually downgrading iTunes to an older version (for a first generation iPod Touch) solved the issue but I have not tried that yet.

Windows 7

Posted on Apr 4, 2016 11:22 AM

3 replies

Apr 4, 2016 12:11 PM in response to Terminal1

Solve network errors

Errors: 17, 1638, 3014, 3194, 3000, 3002, 3004, 3013, 3014, 3015, 3194, 3200. You might also see these alert messages:

• There was a problem downloading the software.
  • The device isn't eligible for the requested build.

These alerts mean that your computer is either having difficulty contacting the Apple update server or communicating with your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. Check your computer for software or settings that might cause communication issues between your computer and Apple or between your computer and your device.

If you still see the error message, check your security software.User uploaded file

Check your security software

Errors: 2, 4, 6, 9, 1611, 9006:Sometimes security software can stop your computer from communicating with either the Apple update server or with your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. Check your security software and settings to make sure that they aren't blocking a connection to the Apple servers.

If you still see the error message,check for USB connection issues.User uploaded file

Check your USB connections

Errors: 13, 14, 1600, 1601, 1602, 1603, 1604, 1611, 1643-1650, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2009, 4005, 4013, 4014. You might also see a message that includes "invalid response."If the USB connection between your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch and computer is interrupted, you might not be able to update or restore.

To narrow down the issue, try different equipment:

If you still see the error message,check for hardware issues.

Apr 4, 2016 1:31 PM in response to lllaass

Thanks for the post, I have to tell you I tried all that over the weekend. The network errors thing has been repeatedly been shown to not be the issue even when it is indicated. The link you provided is the first one I tried. I completely disabled my AV/Firewall/etc, My Hosts file is exactly as they indicated it should be for a reference file, and then I did the same thing on another Windows PC. I am even using Apple Cables.

I tried it from work today for giggles. Different cable, different computer, different security software, different firewall, different everything. I know the network is not blocking access because I just updated 3 people's phones from our network today. Still having the issue.

I just threw up the post quickly this morning because frustration has set in. Need to get the conversation rolling, I probably should add I have worked in IT for several years and support Apple devices. I feel like I am missing something simple or things are really messed up. Worked fine right until the update... I'll try it from my MacBook tonight.

May 2, 2016 8:28 AM in response to Terminal1

It has been a while since I posted on the topic but here is the final solution.

The problem was updating from a PC and the iTunes software failing to recognize it had not downloaded a complete file for the upgrade. I loaded a fresh PC (windows 7) with just drivers, Windows fully updated, 3rd party browsers installed and patched. I put iTunes on and it still failed. So having tried it on 3 different PCs with 3 different connector cables (2 Apple and 1 Amazon) and going so far as to have security software completely uninstalled, firewalls disabled, etc. The bottom line was the software was failing to download a complete file and the installer function was not smart enough to recognize this. It would try to install partial downloads. I bricked my iPad Air 2 in addition to my iPod touch while trying to figure this out.

I then fired up my MacBook Pro and connected my devices to that (with one of my previously used cables) and the update worked via iTunes and they returned to full functionality. I monitored the process and that is where I spotted the anomaly. I don't know why I am seeing this and it wasn't being widely reported.

iPod Touch 5th Generation stuck in recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.