Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My apple id was hacked and devices were locked, apple care three weeks no progress

Hi all,

My email address which is associated with my apple id was hacked. The hacker used that email account to reset the password of my apple id and remotely set all my apple devices (mac, iphone and ipad) into lost mode. Then he sent out an email to my hacked email address and claimed that he can unlock my devices, but I have to pay the money. He is Chinese and did all these remotely in China, when I was sleeping in the U.S. That hacker even initialized the two factor verification and associated his own iphone with my account, so that I cannot even reset my apple account password!

I turned to apple support for help. I have been to apple store three times and worked with 5 different apple care senior advisors in the past 3 weeks. Also I submitted all my proofs of purchase. However, no progress has been made on my IOS devices. (The people in apple store managed to unlock my macbook through firmware code.)

Can anyone here help me? I was told to wait, wait and wait, everytime I called the apple care. Just get tired of waiting. After talking to apple care yesterday, I found that they haven't even started investigating my cases because of high volume of cases, though my case was escalated to high priority one week ago!

Now. Here are some thoughts about my cases:

Technical:

1 How can that hacker manipulate my apple account in China? Apparently all my devices are in the United States. Apple should know all these location information. Just like the credit card. If someone steals your credit card information and uses it in the different country, the credit card company will inform you and check whether you have made that purchase. Similarly, the location difference should cause apple's suspicion to confirm whether you are the true owner.

2 That hacker associated his own device with my hacked apple id and started the two factor verification. And I didn't know anything! I had three devices linked to that apple id! There must be something wrong with two factor verification. How can that happen?

3 When the hacker set my iphone 6s plus at lost mode, my iphone requests a "4" digit PIN to unlock the device. However, I have already set the device PIN with "6" digit PIN! Also my iphone knows my finger print. All aren't working! I have read an article about a similar case in Australia. It says that the hacker cannot set my device PIN remotely, if there is already a PIN on that device. My question is how my iphone trusts that hacker's command from apple id instead of my finger print or my 6 digit PIN. There should be bugs on iphone.

Apple support:

4 My case has taken 3 weeks. It was at the end of second week that the case was escalated to high priority. Why didn't apple do it at the first place? I have made myself clear enough my devices and id were hacked from the beginning!

5 It seems to me that my high priority case will take long forever. I don't know anything about how long I will be waiting. All I can do is to check with the senior advisor who I am working with everyday when he is in the office. I even didn't know how many people are ahead of me. Is this the way how apple treat the so called high priority case? Then what about low priority case?

6 I admit that I should set up the two factor verification myself in the first place. Then that hacker will not have any chance to setup it for me. However, the apple should have responsibility to remind his user of the importance of their apple id. Do more advertising, post more news and pop out more security notices!

You can tell that I was a big fan of apple. On that night when I lost my apple devices, I was completely shut out of my digital world. Because I have to use iphone to make phone call and use macbook to connect to the internet and look for help! However, the sluggish apple support really damages the image of "apple" in my heart.

Thanks.

Ye

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 4, 2016 12:14 PM

1 reply

Jun 14, 2016 8:10 AM in response to yetian88

Ye, did you ever get your problem resolved by Apple? A member of my family recently purchased a new Iphone SE (they had never had an iphone, much less a smart phone, so this was a big step / change for them from their flip phone) and within a week someone had hacked their apple ID and made a purchase from an "unauthorized" device. I'm not sure why apple would allow any purchases from unauthorized devices in the first place, but they changed her security questions. We were able to finally change her password, but this has really scared her. And we aren't sure how this happened, so we can prevent it again. And based on a Google search, it is a pretty common occurrence. Very upsetting and it definitely undermines any confidence one may have had in Apple's security.

My apple id was hacked and devices were locked, apple care three weeks no progress

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.