Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing OS 8.6 or 9.2.1 via USB on New World Mac?

Hallo!

I have submitted a Similar question pertaining to the installation of OS X 10.1-10.3 via USB disk in the "Mac OS X 10.3 & older" section, so if you have insight into that please also reply there.

Here's the situation: I have an iBook G3 Clamshell 233MHz 265MB SRAM 16MB VRAM with 1xUSB 1.1 port. I need an OS installed and the only alternative to Mac OS 8.6/9.2 or OS X 10.1-10.3 that is eligible for this machine is PowerPC Linux, of which I can only install a CLI (Command Line only Interface) copy of Ubuntu, which I heavily prefer not to use. I have tried every method of creating the USB copy of the installer, which I mentioned in paragraph three of this post:Install OS X 10.0-10.3 from USB on New World Mac? for the Mac OS 8.6 and 9.2 discs as well. I Have the retail (Green 8.6 disc with large 8 and picture inside the bottom loop) OS 8 install disc as well as the retail 9.2.1 universal install disc (with the large orange 9 on the label), however the CD-R drive is completely shot, as mentioned in the above linked post it can read discs, but it cannot initialize a boot disc, and takes an hour to recognize/20+ min to read a disc sector so the direct disc installation option is completely out.

While unlike the case in the above post I can actually get my 9.2.1 installer USB disk copy to boot, the 8.6 installer copy refuses to even be recognized in the boot selection menu (Option on boot) and when I boot the 9.2.1 USB installer I receive the infamous "The system software on the startup disk only functions on the original media, not if copied to another drive." message.

Again using my CD-R drive is out of the question. I have made sure the image is "locked" before writing the USB disk, set the image permissions to "r-- r-- r--" and formatted the USB disk as "Mac OS Standard" (HFS) before writing, and I still receive the message. Here's the kicker: I've even used "ResEdit" on a separate Mac OS 9 installation to remove the "xboo" resource that checks for media type from the program "/System Folder/System", copied the contents of the install CD to a folder, replaced "/System Folder/System" with the modified version, created a new .CDR CD-ROM master image of size 665,8MB the exact size of the original disc, moved the folder with the copy of the install disc to the existing separate OS 9 installation, blessed the "System Folder" directory, moved it back, filled the image with the disc contents (including modified "System" program), unmounted the new image, "locked" it, set its permissions to "r-- r-- r--" and wrote it directly to the HFS formatted USB disk using sudo dd if="image path" of=/dev/"USB disk number" fixed permission on the new USB install disk, and it successfully booted to the modified OS 9.2 installer from the boot selection menu HOWEVER, upon boot up the installer still displayed the same message: "The system software on the startup disk only functions on the original media, not if copied to another drive." Even though the function to handle that scenario has been removed, and all permission are set up correctly.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it even possible in ANY scenario to install Mac OS 8.6 or 9.2.1 from a direct install disc backup, or via a USB disk/Flash Drive? Or am I going to have to buy a new iBook CD-R drive, and a T6 Torx screwdriver to replace it just to reinstall the Mac OS? Like I said before more details about methods attempted can be found in the Mac OS X variation of this post linked above, so for more info or insight into installing OS X with a USB disk instead of Mac OS please reply to that post. Any and all help or suggestions are appreciated, and I badly need an OS installed on this machine besides Command Line Only Linux. Thanks!

iBook, Mac OS X (10.2.x) , iBook G3 Clamshell 233MHz 1xUSB1.1

Posted on Apr 4, 2016 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2016 7:45 AM

Macs of that generation will only boot from the internal drive, CD, or Firewire. I have only heard it rumored a few PPC Macs can boot from USB and that was probably to some OSX version.

I don't know if Target Disk Mode or this works for OS9 booting: Installing 10.4/10.5 on a Mac with a broken/or incompatible optical drive - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-1020

Please do not cross post in multiple fora. It makes it very difficult for people trying to help you to be able to follow what has already been said, particularly if we have to search for the other topic (you do not provide a direct link).

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2016 7:45 AM in response to Alison E. C.

Macs of that generation will only boot from the internal drive, CD, or Firewire. I have only heard it rumored a few PPC Macs can boot from USB and that was probably to some OSX version.

I don't know if Target Disk Mode or this works for OS9 booting: Installing 10.4/10.5 on a Mac with a broken/or incompatible optical drive - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-1020

Please do not cross post in multiple fora. It makes it very difficult for people trying to help you to be able to follow what has already been said, particularly if we have to search for the other topic (you do not provide a direct link).

Apr 5, 2016 11:59 AM in response to Limnos

Thank you for your reply. I do have a PowerMac G4 that I may be able to use target disk mode from, however I will likely have to reinstall OS X on it as well, as several essential parts of the file system have been deleted (I had badly needed extra backup space for a different machine's data at the time and it seemed like a worth while compromise to make at the time).

I will be sure to refrain from cross posting in the future, I had not considered the inconvenience it may create and felt iffy about posting something pertaining to OS X in the classic Mac OS section or vise-versa.

On the topic of USB booting however I am positive that both my iBook, as well as my PowerMac G4 are capable of it, as I have done so on several occasions with both machines. I have never managed to successfully boot to Mac OS or OS X on either this way, however I have been able to boot to a network installer for PowerPC Ubuntu 14.04 through Open Firmware using the "boot pci@f200000/usb@18/yaboot" command. I have also been able to boot directly to a live PowerPC Lubuntu USB disk, booting directly to Xserver through the boot selection menu, admittedly the previous example has the program "yaboot" to assist with manual booting from USB, and the latter a version of "boot.elf" that pointed to the USB port as its root filesystem.

[UPDATE]

When using verbose boot with the OS X installer it displayed the error "still waiting for root" where the installer hung. Would it be possible to redirect the installer so that it looked for the root filesystem in "/usb@18/System" instead? If not neither my PowerMac G4, nor my iBook have a firewire port, rather two, and one USB ports respectively. If I had to use target disk mode would it be possible to use an Ethernet cable? Will I have to buy a two-way USB 1.1 cable otherwise? and in the event that target install mode cannot be done with either of those methods would it be theoretically possible to install OS 9, or OS X Jaguar to a separate partition on my PowerMac G4, place the install on a USB disk, and use a live disk to "drag-and-drop" install it to my iBook's HDD? (After blessing the system folder of course.).

Apr 16, 2016 1:59 PM in response to Limnos

[UPDATE]: I have realized that the proper model name for my iBook is a "PowerBook 2,1". I have managed to reinstall Linux, however the HDD is too small to hold a desktop environment so I'm once again stuck with command line. I attempted to follow the instructions listed in your second link and it worked as far as returning 'ok' for my variation of 'ud:3,\\:tbxi' (/pci@f2000000/usb@18/disk:3,\\:tbxi). There was no functioning 'disk number' but using "disk:3" sufficed to specify usb disk 1 partition 3 during a device check with 'dev'. Unfortunately after setting this disk to the boot device went to I/O wait for a few seconds before it returned the error "MAC-PARTS: specified partition is not valid can't OPEN: /pci@f2000000/usb@18/disk:3,\\:tbxi ok" This is strange because often I hear or read that USB2 disks will not even appear in the boot selection menu, yet this one does but simply cannot seem to boot no matter what. It is important to note two other factors: the USB Flash Drive in question is an older USB2.0 drive with USB1.1 and USB1.0 backward compatibility, and I was using a direct .ISO format backup of the OS X 10.2.0 PowerPC retail install disk for this attempt. Any advice or ideas as to what may be going wrong? The disk is formatted as APM with an OS X Extended Journaled FS. I thank you again for your time and responses.

Installing OS 8.6 or 9.2.1 via USB on New World Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.