Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"This iCloud account cannot be used for Apple Pay"?

Hi,

When we try to add a setup Apple Pay on our child's phone we get the message "This iCloud account cannot be used for Apple Pay" with no additional explanation to point us in the right direction to resolve this. That happens as soon as we click the "Add debit or credit card" option.

The account is as stated for a child. We have age appropriate restrictions in place for online content but when reviewing them none of those seems to have a direct bearing on/obvious connection to Apple Pay.

Has anyone come across this and/or have a solution?

Thank you.

PS The child concerned is old enough to qualify for their own personal debit card linked to their own bank account, but as stated we never get the option of connecting it to Apple Pay.

Posted on Apr 4, 2016 5:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2017 7:36 PM

Hey I had this same question, so i contacted Apple Support.

Turns out because of legal stuff you cannot setup Apple Pay with a Child younger than 16 or 18 (technically an adult) I forget.

*I am a child younger than 16 and have a DEBIT card 🙂 Hope this helps.

6 replies

Feb 2, 2017 10:18 PM in response to TDStuart

My son is 14 and opened a high school Chase checking account and was able to add his debit card to apple pay on his apple watch and iPhone 6s. My daughter has a capital one money account which is a checking account for ages 8 - 17 and she has a debit card, but get the message "This iCloud Account cannot be used for Apple Pay." She is 11.

Apr 5, 2016 12:05 AM in response to Rip van Twinkle

Rip van Twinkle wrote:

PS The child concerned is old enough to qualify for their own personal debit card linked to their own bank account, but as stated we never get the option of connecting it to Apple Pay.

Hi

Your present issue may be academic.

Even if the iCloud account could be used for Apple Pay, the child's debit card would also need to be a supported card for Apple Pay (not all cards from participating issuers are necessarily supported).

You may wish to check with the card issuer to establish whether their debit cards for minors are supported for Apple Pay.

"This iCloud account cannot be used for Apple Pay"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.