Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Late 2009 Imac as external display for PC with display port 1.2

Hello Everyone,

Thankyou for your time. I have been searching for a definitive answer to this question before I go ahead and make a purchase.

I have a Late 2009 27" Imac. I would like to use it as an external monitor for my new PC, which has a EVGA GTX 970 video card with a displayport 1.2 output. Will I be able to use a displayport to mini displayport cable to connect it to my Imac to use as an external monitor for my PC.

The Imac doesn't have the speed I require for photo editing but I love the contrast and size that the screen affords.

Any input would be appreciated!

iMac, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 5, 2016 5:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2016 1:35 PM

This is misleading!

You CAN connect any PC with a videocard that has a DisplayPort output.

Just use a DisplayPort-to-Mini DisplayPort cable. I still use it with my 27" iMac (Late 2009).

Also devices like XBox, PlayStation and any other HDMI-output will work, albeit only in native (2560x1440) or 720p resolution.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2016 1:35 PM in response to den.thed

This is misleading!

You CAN connect any PC with a videocard that has a DisplayPort output.

Just use a DisplayPort-to-Mini DisplayPort cable. I still use it with my 27" iMac (Late 2009).

Also devices like XBox, PlayStation and any other HDMI-output will work, albeit only in native (2560x1440) or 720p resolution.

Apr 6, 2016 2:19 PM in response to LongSlenderBody

Lucky you I entered this page, 😀

I have a pc with gtx 970 and an old imac 27 2009

Now im typing this message using imac 27 inch 2009 Late monitor

I orderd minidisplayport to display port from amazon and it worked, I simply plugged the display port to my GTX 970, And in imac I pressed command + F2 and voalla, windows 10 appeard and it looked very awesome in imac monitor without any problems within 2k resolution, also you can return back to OS X by pressing command + F2 again 🙂

and I got a little surprise for you, iMac speakers works too in windows 10 😉

This should work my friend 🙂

Using Late 2009 Imac as external display for PC with display port 1.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.