Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

importing music to ipod

Hi all

Its been a long time since I have used my ipods and its probably me having a senior moment,however I'm suspicious of one ipod because I have had all kinds of problems from day one years ago.I even sent it back to Apple service in Ireland due to sync probs etc. They said it was fine....Hmmm

Anyway, I have imported 5 albums and they are showing in "my music" with the Album photos.If I click on the play lists tab it lists all the albums including the recently added ones but there is no sign of all the singles tracks I have on there. If I click on the relevant album cover all the tracks are shown within that album,with no option or tick boxes to sync.If I click on the ipod icon it brings up details of the ipod etc.

Then under settings,if I click music it brings up the Sync music page with the option to sync the entire music library.The sync selected play list is already selected. If I tick the sync box it warns me that the music etc will be deleted and synced with this library. Now this bit worries me because in the past when I did a sync from here it wiped tons of music off and I never knew what happened to them (presumed deleted) I dont want that happening again.

If I click on the music tab under my device,only the existing music is listed and ticked and my imports are not listed.

The recently added tab folder is empty.The recently added tab under play lists shows the recently added albums

So,in conclusion,can anybody shed light on where or how I can get these tracks onto the ipod?

Thank you for your patience

Posted on Apr 5, 2016 7:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2016 11:05 AM

You're on the right screen in iTunes (with the Sync Music checkbox). However, I'm not clear on what you want to accomplish. If the iPod currently has songs on it, that were synced to it from an old iTunes library, those songs will be erased if you set up syncing from a your current (different) iTunes library. iTunes replaces the iPod's existing content with content from your current iTunes library, and it is then associated with your current iTunes library for syncing going forward. When you use automatic syncing (not manual loading), the iPod can only be associated with one iTunes library at a time.

Therefore, IF there are songs on the iPod that are not in your current iTunes library (and you want to keep them), you need to off-load those songs first. iTunes syncing is typically in one direction only, from the iTunes library to the iPod. You cannot use iTunes to transfer song files from iPod to computer (except for songs purchased from the iTunes Store). However, there are third-party methods and utilities that can transfer from iPod to computer. If you do an Internet search on something like "ipod transfer music," you should get some useful links (including an article by CNET on the topic).

Once the iPod's song files are on your computer's drive, add them to your current iTunes library so that it has ALL of your songs. Confirm it's all there. Then, you can set up syncing of the iPod to your current iTunes library. Checkmark the box for Sync Music, on the iPod's Music settings screen in iTunes. This turns ON automatic syncing and associates the iPod to your current iTunes library. Any songs on the iPod that are not in your iTunes library will be lost; that should not be a problem anymore, since your iTunes library now has all of your songs. You can choose the option to sync Entire music library (or a selected portion of it). Click Apply. Going forward, iTunes keeps the iPod "in sync" with your music library (or selected portion of it).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2016 11:05 AM in response to BIGTONE

You're on the right screen in iTunes (with the Sync Music checkbox). However, I'm not clear on what you want to accomplish. If the iPod currently has songs on it, that were synced to it from an old iTunes library, those songs will be erased if you set up syncing from a your current (different) iTunes library. iTunes replaces the iPod's existing content with content from your current iTunes library, and it is then associated with your current iTunes library for syncing going forward. When you use automatic syncing (not manual loading), the iPod can only be associated with one iTunes library at a time.

Therefore, IF there are songs on the iPod that are not in your current iTunes library (and you want to keep them), you need to off-load those songs first. iTunes syncing is typically in one direction only, from the iTunes library to the iPod. You cannot use iTunes to transfer song files from iPod to computer (except for songs purchased from the iTunes Store). However, there are third-party methods and utilities that can transfer from iPod to computer. If you do an Internet search on something like "ipod transfer music," you should get some useful links (including an article by CNET on the topic).

Once the iPod's song files are on your computer's drive, add them to your current iTunes library so that it has ALL of your songs. Confirm it's all there. Then, you can set up syncing of the iPod to your current iTunes library. Checkmark the box for Sync Music, on the iPod's Music settings screen in iTunes. This turns ON automatic syncing and associates the iPod to your current iTunes library. Any songs on the iPod that are not in your iTunes library will be lost; that should not be a problem anymore, since your iTunes library now has all of your songs. You can choose the option to sync Entire music library (or a selected portion of it). Click Apply. Going forward, iTunes keeps the iPod "in sync" with your music library (or selected portion of it).

importing music to ipod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.