Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi drops every 10 minutes El Capitan 10.11.4

After upgrading to El Capitan 10.11.4 my wifi continuously disconnects every 10 mins or so.:(

Please help!

Thanks

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 5, 2016 7:22 AM

23 replies

Apr 6, 2016 6:20 PM in response to schlafi

OK, the good news for you is that is not an isolated issue to your Mac. The bad news is that this is a bug that has effected most people who have downloaded and installed El Capitan 10.11.4. Loads of people have tried all sorts of fixes but nothkng he solved it. All we can do is wait for and hope 10.11.5 fixes the problem.

Apr 9, 2016 9:26 AM in response to ACPLE

Hi,

iMac ( 2009 )

El Capitan 10.11.4

I am also sufferring with these kind of wifi issues since the EL capitan OSX software upgrade.

My iMac is a little bit older i.e. from 2009, but not too old, and it always works fine before this software upgrade, no networking issues previously noticed.

Now i encounter 2 kinds of major problems with my wireless configuration,

The wifi is very very slow ( even using a 802.11n with a efficient router and Internet provider)

The connection may drops and my downloads fails on error and need to be restarted.

The first issue could be noticed while trying to download, for test purposes, an iso file 4.5 Gbytes or more, using a wifi N and/or G, the download rate is very very slow ( close to 2MB/s) and the second issue and occurs randomly but very often is that the download may fails on error, i also test trying downloading from several different locations and same problem even using firefox or Safari.

Also noticed, for example, more than 3 hours was needed to download the latest 10.11.4 software update...

On Applestore downloading a simple 82 Mbytes application may need 20 minutes ...( Faster on my phone ...)

After reading some discussions i also try to follow your tips but it didn't help.

Deleting the network configuration, adding it back, deleting the pref* files, changing the MTU, rebooting but same problem.

Testing using wifi 802.11g instead of the 802.11n link type didn't help too.

I also already perform the same kind of downloads tests on a Windows 7 system without any issues.

Any advices may be appreciated.

And an software update is needed urgently..

Apr 9, 2016 8:14 PM in response to ACPLE

I had this problem even before the 10.11.4 update. The Wi-Fi icon will suddenly go gray with an exclamation mark inside. If I turn Wi-Fi off and on again, it goes back on, but won't stay on very long. "Assist me" in Network Preferences will also bring it back for a while but eventually it goes out again. Wireless Diagnostics generated a list of suggestions, all of which I am already using. It also produced a folder full of diagnostic information which I don't have the skill to decipher. Checking my hardware with Apple Diagnostics only said my battery needed service, which doesn't seem right because my battery life appears to be fine. I don't know if the battery would affect the Wi-Fi.

Apr 26, 2016 6:09 PM in response to schlafi

This problem was fixed in 10.11.3, but it came back in 10.11.4. It's so annoying. Because WiFi keeps dropping connection, my chat apps like KakaoTalk keeps telling me it has been logged out and the connection was lost. Webpages suddenly don't load, and I have to wait until WiFi becomes stable again. Then everything works well, until the connection drops again, and I need to wait again. It's super annoying. Seriously, I was so happy this was fixed in 10.11.3, and was thinking updating beyond this would only bring good things, but apparently not. They broke it again. 😟

Apr 28, 2016 8:23 PM in response to schlafi

Does Apple even test this stuff outside of Austin or Cupertino? I mean I live in Dallas and I live in a suburb where the WiFi is pretty good. Yet once again because of 10.11.4 it keeps dropping. My MacBook Pro is less than a year old. I am furious. I could understand if I had an older machine with older WiFi built into the board but come on Apple. When will Apple start testing things in real live homes and wait to roll out stuff that is bad! I'll wager this is piggybacked on some kind of security update to the network code that went awry. Because this stuff happens as regularly as clockwork. And you know what? None of the PC's in my home have this problem. It stinks.

Apr 30, 2016 10:29 AM in response to schlafi

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. These are mostly user to user discussions.

Send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem solved sooner.

Feedback

Or you can use your Apple ID to register with this site and go the Apple BugReporter. Supposedly you will get an answer if you submit feedback.

Feedback via Apple Developer

What does Wireless Diagnostics show?

Wireless Diagnostics

Wi-FI connection drops

Wi-Fi Problems in OS X Yosemite

Wi-Fi Problems in OS X Yosemite (2)

Wi-Fi Problems in OS X Yosemite (3)

WiFi Potential Temporary fix - Yosemite

Also try turning off Bluetooth.

WIFI AND BLUETOOTH FINALLY SOLVED, NO REALLY - YOSEMITE 10.10

If your Wi-Fi source is capable of generating a 5 GHz Wi-Fi network, try that to help avoid conflicts with Bluetooth.

May 20, 2016 3:27 PM in response to dfwenigma

Does Apple even test this stuff outside of Austin or Cupertino? I mean I live in Dallas and I live in a suburb where the WiFi is pretty good. Yet once again because of 10.11.4 it keeps dropping. My MacBook Pro is less than a year old. I am furious. I could understand if I had an older machine with older WiFi built into the board but come on Apple. When will Apple start testing things in real live homes and wait to roll out stuff that is bad! I'll wager this is piggybacked on some kind of security update to the network code that went awry. Because this stuff happens as regularly as clockwork. And you know what? None of the PC's in my home have this problem. It stinks. I use a third party device that can't be upgraded and I know it's a problem. Its a Linksys device that the vendor does not support. Typical. But I can't really isolate unless I buy a new router. We've already bought a new modem but the problem isn't resolved. Now it's a new router. More expense. A good router is $300.00. My Windows emulation doesn't drop as much as my Mac which drops constantly. I had a Dell on this network and it seemed to drop but not as regularly.

May 20, 2016 8:13 PM in response to dwmreg64

Hello dwmreg64,

Are you saying that some Airport devices cause this problem? It certainly seems that some routers are much more likely to cause it than others. I've been doing some traveling lately and I can definitely confirm that it is router-specific.

However, my current router is not very fast and I was considering getting a better one. Should I avoid an Airport Express?

Wifi drops every 10 minutes El Capitan 10.11.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.