Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Caching Server service still broke for Mac App Store apps

Well, I thought I had found a fix to my issue of downloads from the Mac App Store not caching.

WRONG!

I explicitly set the flags, via terminal commands, for AllowPersonalCaching and AllowSharedCaching

as the two flags were not present in config.plist for the service. I then downloaded an app from the

Mac App Store on one of my Macs and it did actually get cached and served from the Caching Service.

Well, thought all was good, until today!

Saw that I had an update for 1Password app. So downloaded it from the MacApp Store onto my iMac.

Then I thought, better check my MiniServer to see if the Caching Service was still working for MacApp

Store downloads. Guess what? NOT!!! Did the update on two other Macs and the Mini Server and none

of them made the Caching Service budge!

However, all the Macs do see the caching server and a look in the log shows that the Caching Service is working

for local iCloud caching as when each Mac was powered up for the update I was attempting, there were multiple

PUTs and GETs for cloudd/xxx.xx.

Now, on top of that, the formerly working iTunes Store app update caching when downloading on the Macs is also

not working any more!!! It did however, serve an app directly to an iDevice that I tested.

So, has the Caching Service just basically a useless consumption of memory now in terms of working with Mac?

Has it turned into an iDevice only service? I have tried re-starting the service, shutting down the Server app, rebooting

the server all to no avail.

All the functionality of the service was fine under Yosemite. Somewhere along the line though, either El Capitan updates

or Server App updates have some how borked this service.

So, any clues or do people simply not use this service anymore and no one cares?

OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), Home Server

Posted on Apr 5, 2016 8:43 AM

45 replies

Apr 7, 2016 6:12 AM in response to woodmeister50

Some more information if anyone at all is interested, set the logging level for the Caching Service

to verbose. Downloaded an app update via iTunes on 2 Macs and there was zero entry in the

debug.log as to even recognizing that a request had been made, let alone any errors.

However, a separate request for the app directly from an iDevice generated all sorts of info.

Apr 12, 2016 6:41 AM in response to chattphotos

Thanks chattphotos. I was beginning to think no one used this service or was

even aware it may not be working.

The odd part of it is that the iCloud caching part works for all the Macs (I can see entries

in the Caching Service log each time a Mac logs on or does things that affect iCloud data).

Also, iDevices are immediately serviced when downloads are done by them. However, even

in verbose mode, there is nary a peep in the log file (debug.log) when a Mac does an iTunes app

download or a Mac App Store App download. All of this had worked in the past. Somewhere in the

update path in either Server or El Capitan, things broke.

Apr 27, 2016 3:55 AM in response to Richard Cartledge

All clients are updating via the local MacApp Store app and iTunes (for iDevice updates).

I have set the Caching Service logging to verbose mode and there is not even an indication

that the Macs are even making a request. They do recognize the server presence, as indicated

by the fact that the iCloud caching portion of the service is working (can see log entries when

client Macs do anything that affects iCloud data).

It just looks more and more to me that Caching Service for the MacApp Store either works like a champ

or doesn't work at all, with no clue as to why.

Apr 27, 2016 6:07 AM in response to woodmeister50

WM50,

Have you checked with

sudo serveradmin fullstatus caching

what the results are?

Also the support document Content types supported by the Caching service in OS X Server - Apple Support gives you a breakdown of what exactly get's 'cached'.

You can interrogate the server to give you an exact list of what is in the cache.

It is working perfectly for us.

Leo

Apr 28, 2016 4:10 AM in response to Leopardus

I understand what gets cached, which should be anything from the MacApp Store according

to what that document says. As I had said throughout the thread, it had worked at one time

and somewhere in the update/upgrade chain from Server 5.0 and Yosemite things broke.

No request is recognized from any of 4 Macs, all with same AppleIDs with no indication

an the server logs that requests were even made. The Mac software cache has been at that

value for at least 6 months to my knowledge, maybe longer since that was around the time

I finally realized it was not working anymore.

FWIW, here is the full status results, which don't show anything negative as far as I can see:

caching:CacheLimit = 172106587390

caching:StartupStatus = "OK"

caching:RegistrationStatus = 1

caching:CacheFree = 110036120458

caching:PersonalCacheUsed = 300277756

caching:TotalBytesDropped = 1779716

caching:CacheStatus = "OK"

caching:TotalBytesStoredFromOrigin = 1035198342

caching:state = "RUNNING"

caching:Port = 59721

caching:Peers = _empty_array

caching:TotalBytesStoredFromPeers = 0

caching:RestrictedMedia = no

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:0:BytesUsed = 47560349451

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:0:LocalizedType = "Mac Software"

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:0:MediaType = "Mac Software"

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:0:Language = "en"

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:1:BytesUsed = 12479142887

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:1:LocalizedType = "iOS Software"

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:1:MediaType = "iOS Software"

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:1:Language = "en"

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:2:BytesUsed = 300277756

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:2:LocalizedType = "iCloud"

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:2:MediaType = "iCloud"

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:2:Language = "en"

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:3:BytesUsed = 36468677

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:3:LocalizedType = "Books"

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:3:MediaType = "Books"

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:3:Language = "en"

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:4:BytesUsed = 0

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:4:LocalizedType = "iTunes U"

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:4:MediaType = "iTunes U"

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:4:Language = "en"

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:5:BytesUsed = 0

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:5:LocalizedType = "Movies"

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:5:MediaType = "Movies"

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:5:Language = "en"

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:6:BytesUsed = 0

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:6:LocalizedType = "Music"

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:6:MediaType = "Music"

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:6:Language = "en"

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:7:BytesUsed = 1694228161

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:7:LocalizedType = "Other"

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:7:MediaType = "Other"

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:7:Language = "en"

caching:PersonalCacheLimit = 172106587390

caching:CacheUsed = 62070466932

caching:TotalBytesStored = 1035198342

caching:TotalBytesImported = 8357047

caching:PersonalCacheFree = 171806309634

caching:Active = yes

caching:TotalBytesReturned = 1767464217

Apr 28, 2016 9:06 PM in response to woodmeister50

woodmeister50 wrote:

I understand what gets cached, which should be anything from the MacApp Store according

to what that document says. As I had said throughout the thread, it had worked at one time

and somewhere in the update/upgrade chain from Server 5.0 and Yosemite things broke.

No request is recognized from any of 4 Macs, all with same AppleIDs with no indication

an the server logs that requests were even made. The Mac software cache has been at that

value for at least 6 months to my knowledge, maybe longer since that was around the time

I finally realized it was not working anymore.

FWIW, here is the full status results, which don't show anything negative as far as I can see:

caching:CacheLimit = 172106587390

caching:StartupStatus = "OK"

caching:RegistrationStatus = 1

caching:CacheFree = 110036120458

caching:PersonalCacheUsed = 300277756

caching:TotalBytesDropped = 1779716

caching:CacheStatus = "OK"

caching:TotalBytesStoredFromOrigin = 1035198342

caching:state = "RUNNING"

caching:Port = 59721

caching:Peers = _empty_array

caching:TotalBytesStoredFromPeers = 0

caching:RestrictedMedia = no

caching:CacheDetails:_array_index:7:Language = "en"

caching:PersonalCacheLimit = 172106587390

caching:CacheUsed = 62070466932

caching:TotalBytesStored = 1035198342

caching:TotalBytesImported = 8357047

caching:PersonalCacheFree = 171806309634

caching:Active = yes

caching:TotalBytesReturned = 1767464217

Could you maybe have changed this? On our systems Port 50910 is used.

Leo

Apr 28, 2016 11:32 PM in response to woodmeister50

More information in OS X Server (Mountain Lion): Advanced configuration of the Caching service - Apple Support to help you solving the issue. If you are not successful, we can use sqlite3 to look at the detail of your database.

In TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products - Apple Support you will notice that the Caching service also operates in the same range than 'Back to my Mac'. Might be that you have a conflict stemming from something using this service?

Leo

Apr 29, 2016 4:40 AM in response to Leopardus

Leopardus wrote:

In TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products - Apple Support you will notice that the Caching service also operates in the same range than 'Back to my Mac'. Might be that you have a conflict stemming from something using this service?

Leo

I have never used Back to My Mac and is not enabled on any of my Macs.

I would like to thank you for your suggestions as you have been the first with

any useful info other than "it works" or "read the docs". Perhaps I may start being

able to get to the bottom of this.

Also, on the client side, is there anywhere to find what a particular Mac is using for the

port for the service or does it simply try looking for a port that is active for this service?

Caching Server service still broke for Mac App Store apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.