Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CarPlay won't play audio for ONLY ONE podcast

I just bought a new 2016 Honda Civic. I am using an iPhone 6 that is fully upgraded to IOS 9.3.1.

This whole setup seems to be buggy to begin with (podcasts just stop playing for no apparent reason, no texts, or emails, or calls interrupting the podcast.) but for the last 3 weeks or so Stuff You Should Know will not play. It comes up on the screen and the status bar is moving along AS IF it is playing, second by second, and you can even see the total run time. Every thing LOOKS perfect, but no audio comes out of the speakers.

AND just to eliminate the questions re: stupid mistakes - the audio IS turned up. If I switch to a different podcast (ex: The Nerdist, or Freakonomics) it plays fine and I can hear the content. but then switching back to SYSK the sound goes dead, though the screen still looks as though everything is playing alright.

I have restarted the phone and deleted the podcast and resubscribed. neither of those things has helped out.

Ideas?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 5, 2016 9:34 AM

5 replies

Jun 7, 2016 5:03 AM in response to thomasfromcole harbour

I checked the latest episode in the audio podcast from How Stuff Works. It plays OK when subscribing in iTunes, and the file which downloads is a normal enough MP3 file.

However the URL for the file in the feed:

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/podcasts.howstuffworks.com/hsw/podcasts/ sysk/2016-06-02-sysk-crispr-gene-editing-final.mp3

loads through a 302 (temporary redirect) to

http://podcasts.howstuffworks.com/hsw/podcasts/sysk/2016-06-02-sysk-crispr-gene- editing-final.mp3

Redirects like this can be problematic; and the actual file is on a server which may not handle byte range requests, the method used by iPhone to download files. It's odd that the file appears to play while being silent - I would have expected it not to play at all if these factors were causing a problem - but it's possible that this is the reason you are having problems. However you say earlier episodes played OK, and all these have similar URLs: you could try an older episode again.

Aug 1, 2016 8:23 AM in response to grousie26

I have the same problem, although it affects 3-4 of my podcast series. They all work fine if I play them over bluetooth. I've used Overcast, which works better, but most of my podcasts are not updated in Overcast, so that's not a reliable option for me either.

I just can't figure out what would be different about these podcasts to make them not work. I tried analyzing files from working and non-working podcasts and couldn't really pin down any significant differences. Here's a post I made on the CivicX forums: http://www.civicx.com/threads/carplay-not-playing-certain-podcasts.2516/

CarPlay won't play audio for ONLY ONE podcast

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.