Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac mini 2011 yosemite will not turn on

Apparently this thing died in it's sleep. Nothing I do has any effect and I;m running out of cuss words. I have an appointment with the genius tomorrow and I know what he'll say.

Yes, I'll buy another, but I have a question.

I don't want to lose what I have on this HD. How do I move yosemie into el capitan? I have other software, adobe CS and Office I don't want to have to reload. what can I do?

it's all on time machine too If there's a way, please tell me

thank you

Posted on Apr 5, 2016 10:06 AM

13 replies

Apr 5, 2016 10:14 AM in response to chas144

What exactly happens when you startup the mac Mini?

Can you boot in Target Disk Mode?

How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support

If yes then you can likely clone that did to your new one but yo may have to just use Migration to move the data and apps

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

You may have to reenter the activation codes for various apps though

You can also during initial setup of the new Mac migrate from TM backup but you may have to reenter activation codes for various apps

Apr 5, 2016 10:23 AM in response to chas144

1. First off, we do not know which Mac Mini you have. see > How to identify Mac mini models - Apple Support

2. Then try everything at > If your Mac won't turn on - Apple Support before you make up your mind that you need to buy a new one.

3. While Time Machine can restore all of your User Data, it lacks some of the better options that a CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper clone can provide in exactly this situation.

Apr 6, 2016 11:51 AM in response to chas144

Ok. Just left the temple,and the twelve-year old genius agreed it could be a) the power switch. b) the power supply, or c, ) (Shudder now) the logic board, It could be anything from a hundred to 400 bucks to fix it. I told him to stop at a hundred and if it needed more to just give me hard drive back

That should be bootable...yes?

I guess I'll be learning to clone a drive this week

Thank you all You were a big help

chas

mac mini 2011 yosemite will not turn on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.