Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP mid 2012 wont go to sleep

My Macbook Pro wont go to sleep when I close the lid or choose sleep on the apple menu, I have trying everything (from resetting the SMC and the NVRAM/PRAM to disabling the sharing networks etc) and even went to the Apple Store to get it fixed but they couldnt even help me - all they did was erase everything.

I opened terminal and typed in the pmset -g assertions command and it gave me this:

2016-04-06 08:54:30 +1000

Assertion status system-wide:

BackgroundTask 0

ApplePushServiceTask 0

UserIsActive 1

PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep 0

PreventSystemSleep 0

ExternalMedia 0

PreventUserIdleSystemSleep 1

NetworkClientActive 0

Listed by owning process:

pid 547(AddressBookSourceSync): [0x000003ef000101e1] 00:00:07 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "Address Book Source Sync"

Timeout will fire in 1793 secs Action=TimeoutActionTurnOff

pid 100(hidd): [0x0000010200090152] 00:12:35 UserIsActive named: "com.apple.iohideventsystem.queue.tickle"

Timeout will fire in 581 secs Action=TimeoutActionRelease

No kernel assertions.

Idle sleep preventers: IODisplayWrangler

I also opened Activity Monitor and saw that hidd was preventing it to sleep, tried to force quit it but it still came back.
Can someone help me asap please? Plus explain what IODisplayWrangler is?

PS. This only started when I did an upgrade to El Capitan 10.11.4 from Yosemite

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.4.10), null

Posted on Apr 5, 2016 4:00 PM

11 replies

Apr 5, 2016 5:16 PM in response to alexaaar

You were told by Apple that you had a failing hard drive. That may or may not be what's causing the sleep problem, but regardless, unless Apple is wrong, you need to replace the drive (or the whole machine.) It's pointless to do anything else with the machine if the drive is failing. If you don't believe what you were told, take the machine somewhere else to be tested and see whether you get the same result.

MBP mid 2012 wont go to sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.