Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two Boot Camp updates repeatedly offered in Apple Software Update (ASU)

On the Mac Pro 2013, is anyone else being repeatedly offered the

1) "Graphics Driver Update for Boot Camp" (v6.0) - 339 MB

and then the

2) "Apple Boot Camp Update" (also v6.0) - 265 MB? This is a Mac Pro 2013 running Win 10 ver. 1511 with an AMD FirePro GL D700. From the looks of #1 it was created in late March 2016 and pushed out early April by Apple. The 2nd one, judging by the .RAR-like icon (stack of books) and digital signature it appears to be older (~Nov. 2015).

So I installed #1 and it updated my AMD drivers from 15.201 to 15.301. Yay. But then the next day it prompted me for #2, so I installed that too thinking it was non-graphics related. The AMD drivers did not revert after installing #2; they are still 15.301. But then I'd get prompted for update #1 again, and if installed, then prompted for #2 AGAIN, then #1, wash, rinse, repeat.

For now, I've disabled #2 in Apple Software Update, so at least ASU is no longer ******** at me daily. Thinking it might be Windows overwriting the Apple drivers, I did the part under Block Driver Update and there are only Intel CPU components and bridges etc. there. So I did the How to Stop Automatic Driver Updates but it didn't make any difference, either:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/take-back-control-driver-updates-windows-10/

This was of no help either:

http://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to-uninstall-and-block-updates-and-drivers-o n-windows-10/

I have not tried uninstalling ASU yet (from where would I reinstall it??) or downloading the Boot Camp driver package again (it used to update only at 10.9, 10.10, 10.11, etc. so I am skeptical they changed it just for 10.11.4). Why not? Because I should not have to! and it's a freaking waste of my time. Whatever it is, does anyone know for certain how to fix it or tell Apple to STOP OFFERING THEM repeatedly?

Thanks in advance! 🙂

Mac Pro (Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), AMD FirePro GL D700

Posted on Apr 5, 2016 5:43 PM

7 replies

Apr 6, 2016 2:16 PM in response to djpenn

I've having the same problems in Windows 10 bootcamp on a 15" 2015 Macbook Pro. Apple Software update keeps repeatedly asking me to install Graphics Driver Update for Boot Camp. After it is installed, Apple Software Update then prompts me to install Apple Boot Camp Update . After that is installed, Apple Software Update repeats the whole process, asking me to install the Graphics Driver Update for Boot Camp again, then the Apple Boot Camp Update again. Rinse, repeat.

Apple what's the deal? Any other solutions?

Apr 6, 2016 4:27 PM in response to Loner T

The 265 MB Nov. 2015-signed package came from ASU. And while 15.301 is newer than 15.201, I have now set both update packages to be ignored in ASU and I reverted to 15.201. The newer driver caused frame tearing in The Division, but 15.201 works fine. So now I'm wondering if maybe Apple figured that out and tried to recall the 15.301 package but didn't do it quite right.

I'm downloading the full driver package using Mac OS 10.11.4 Boot Camp Assistant right now. I can compare it to what I already downloaded when 10.11.0 was released, and I will reinstall it tonight. Then I will reset ignored updates in ASU and will report back...

Apr 8, 2016 9:06 PM in response to djpenn

Well, good news. I used Boot Camp Assistant in /Applications/Utilities (mine is version 6.0.1 in OS X 10.11.4) to download the "WindowsSupport" Boot Camp driver package to a USB stick. I rebooted into Win 10, then installed the Boot Camp drivers. I rebooted when prompted, then reset ignored updates in ASU and checked for updates. It offered the Graphics Driver Update for Boot Camp again, so I installed it. Then I rebooted again when prompted, and the older Nov. 2015 Boot Camp package was no longer offered.

I think what happened was something like this: I had downloaded the Boot Camp drivers in Dec. 2015 and applied them, but I had removed/uinstalled some of the drivers for hardware that my Mac Pro simply did not have, or that were older driver versions left behind in the Programs and Features control panel (type Cmd+R > type in appwiz.cpl > click OK or press Enter):

User uploaded file

That might be why it was offered again after the graphics driver update. Also, not sure what this may have to do with it, but Apple did change the Boot Camp driver package slightly since Dec. 2015.

The one I had saved in Dec. 2015 was 2.6 GB, 2456 files, 338 folders (when right clicking on WindowsSupport > Properties)

The one I downloaded last night was 2.58 GB, 2455 files, 337 folders. The difference seems to be that \WindowsSupport\BootCamp\Drivers\RealTek is no longer present, nor is the RealtekSetup.exe which was inside it. And that EXE was 22,551 KB, which explains the overall size difference.

Apple could have made other changes as well to the driver packages; I didn't look. It was enough for me that they changed them since Dec. 2015 without a major OS revision.

So, try this: Use /Applications/Utilties/Boot Camp Assistant in OS X 10.11.4 and pick this:

User uploaded file

Select a USB stick as the destination; I think it formats it as FAT32 and erases it. I was not prompted for anything like that; not sure why. Then reboot into Win10 and install it. Then check for updates in ASU and apply the graphics update. Reboot again into Windows, then check for updates again and I think it should not offer the older Boot Camp package....

Aug 3, 2016 9:18 PM in response to djpenn

Soooo... after all this churn, the AMD FirePro GL driver has gone from 15.201, to 15.301... and back now to 15.200 as of July 2016. And it is the most stable driver yet! Weird, but no frame tearing in the Division, no issues in Doom (2016) or Wolfenstein New Order, and everything works super duper.

HOWEVER, I would caution anyone reading this as of 2 August 2016 against updating to Windows 10 Anniversary Update (build 14393 - version 1607). Possibly a driver issue, but your Mac OS partition may not be recognized at all in Windows 10...

Re: Windows 10 Anniversary + Boot Camp = no longer mounting Mac partition

Includes anyone in "dual boot" Linux situations.

Two Boot Camp updates repeatedly offered in Apple Software Update (ASU)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.