Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone activation lock linked to old email

I have one of our old staffs phones that I have restored and now has the activation lock coming up.

The users email address they used as their apple account username no longer exists and cannot be access.

The staff member has given us his previous details and I have successfully changed the apple account online from the old unused account to a new email account / username that we can access online.

However the phone is still wanting the old user name and password to activate..

I have read on other threads about temporarily changing the username back to the old email address, however this is no longer possible as it wants me to enter a verification code that it is trying to send to the old email address before it will change the email account name.

Any suggestions on how to have this phone activated?

iPhone 5, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 6, 2016 2:38 AM

4 replies

Apr 8, 2016 9:53 AM in response to andrewnhw

Even when a user no longer has access to an email address for receiving email the address and password combination they used as an Apple ID should still be valid. The user should be able to Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock with those credentials. Once activation lock is turned off you should be able to restore the device and set it up as new.

tt2

Iphone activation lock linked to old email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.