Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung SyncMaster 226BW only works sometimes in El Capitan 10.11.4

Hi

I know many people have a similar problem, but I can't seem to figure out what my problem is though - even after reading all the discussions in here.

I have a external Samsung SyncMaster 226BW display connected to my Macbook Air (from early 2014). It's connected with a DVI to DVI cable and a DVI to Mini Displayport adapter.

My problem is that it does work from time to time but not always and I can't seem to figure out why it works when it actually connects. I usually just plug it in and out until it works. But most of the time, the on button on the Samsung display just blinks.

It's really strange that it works from time to time. Does anyone know what the problem is here?

Thanks

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Apr 6, 2016 2:55 AM

3 replies

Apr 7, 2016 12:34 PM in response to Buchert

Hi Buchert,
I understand that you are not getting consistent results with plugging in your external monitor to your MacBook Air. Let's see if we can get this sorted out.
The first thing I would look to do is reset the SMC and NVRAM on your MacBook Air. This will allow the resolution and ports to be reset on your Mac. Once that is done and if it still not being recognized, would be to go you System Preferences and Detect the display. Take a look at the article below for more details on how to do this.
Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201177

Let me know if this helps.
Have a good day!

Apr 8, 2016 12:41 AM in response to norm123

Hi norm123. Thanks for you suggestion. I'm afraid it doesn't help though. I've tried resetting SMC and NVRAM several times but it doesn't seem to make any difference at all.

It's really strange that it does work from time to time but that the result isn't consistent.

Let me know if you have other ideas.

Thanks.

Apr 8, 2016 6:24 AM in response to Buchert

Hello Wuchert,
I would try different cables if you have access to them or even try a different display to rule out an issue with the your Mac. But if you are still in the same boat, then I would contact Apple Support for further assistance. You can start that process by using the link below.
Contact Apple Support
https://www.apple.com/support/contact/

Take care

Samsung SyncMaster 226BW only works sometimes in El Capitan 10.11.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.