Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X: Resetting Sync Services?

When trying to sync iPhone and iPad I get the error:

iTunes cannot sync information with the iPhone "iPhone" because syncing has been disabled on this computer. Do you want to enable syncing?"

Clicking on "Enable Syncing" returns:

Syncing cannot be enabled on this computer.

A search of the forums gives me this one (discussions.apple.com/message/25146759#25146759) with a solution posted by

Linc Davis Mar 12, 2014 11:05 PM in response to James_Robo.

However the Link in Linc's post just takes me to Atlanta (Error 404) :

We're sorry.

We can't find the article you're looking for.

Please return to the Apple Support homepage.

iMac 21.5-inch, Late 2009

Processor 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 16 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDA GeForce 9400 256 MB

OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.4

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Posted on Apr 6, 2016 2:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2017 2:34 PM

I came up with a procedure that leaves all data on the iOS device intact. All changes are only on the Mac side - nothing on the iOS side.

Disclaimer: This procedure requires use of the Unix command line. If you are not familiar with this you should learn about it before you attempt this. This procedure also removes several important configuration files that will be rebuilt in their default state. You should make sure you have a complete backup of you Mac including your home directory and iTunes directory - *and* know how to restore it should you need to. Also make sure your iOS devices are backed up to iCloud. By the way I ran this on macOS 10.12.2 and iTunes 12.5.4.42.

This procedure worked for me (on two different Macs with 3 iOS devices). However YMMV. Also this procedure probably removes more files that are absolutely necessary, but I didn’t want to take the time to figure out exactly what combination of files would cure the problem. Please review the entire procedure and proceed at your own risk.

Preparation:

Close all applications and log out.

Log in to another account on your Mac with Administrator privileges. Create a new account if you don’t already have one.

Open a terminal window. Create a shell under your original user with the command:

sudo su -l <user>

Where <user> is the short user name of the original account that you normally log into (not the one you are using for this procedure). This will prompt for the password of the current account.

Verify that the HOME variable is pointing to right place:

echo $HOME

This should be /Users/<user> where <user> is your short login name of your original account (same as in the ’su -l’ command).

Create a temporary directory to hold some files (you can use whatever name you like):

mkdir Hold

Part 1:

Verify that SyncServer is working normally. If not you need to fix it first. Look in '/var/log/system.log' for messages like:

… com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.syncservices.SyncServer): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

These messages occur at the same time you connect your iOS device and get the “…syncing has been disabled on this computer...” message.

If you see these messages then you need to fix SyncServer before proceeding.

Look at the file '$HOME/Library/Logs/Sync/syncservices.log'. You will likely see messages that contain:

"Can't upgrade SyncServices data schema in directory”. If you see this, you will need to get a clean copy of the directory: '$HOME/Library/Application\ Support/SyncServices/Local/'

I was able to copy this from my account on my laptop. I believe you need to have another account somewhere that is signed into iCloud with the same AppleId as iTunes in the original account with the syncing problem.

I used 'rsync -aE ...' to copy the Local directory into the target account into a the Hold directory above and then moved into the $HOME/Library/Application\ Support/SyncServices/ directory. I did this because rsync has trouble with directories with spaces in the name. This will look something like this as executed on the Mac with a good copy:

cd $HOME/Library/Application\ Support/SyncServices/

rsync -aE Local <user>@<target-mac>:Hold/

Where <user> is the short user name of the account with the problem and <target-mac> is the network name of the Mac with the problem.

Example: from another Mac (user: fred, machine name: imac) with a good '$HOME/Library/Application\ Support/SyncServices/Local' directory:

rsync -aE Local fred@imac:Hold/

Then on original Mac: mv $HOME/Hold/Local $HOME/Library/Application\Support/SyncServices/

After you have repaired SyncServices, you can verify that it is working by logging into your original account and connecting your iOS device. The message described above should no longer occur in ‘/var/log/system.log'. Make sure this is working before you proceed.

On the off chance that you no longer see the “…syncing has been disabled on this computer…” when you plug in your iOS device, you should stop here and see if syncing is working now. Assuming you are still seeing that message proceed to the next step.

Part 2:

Log out of your account and log into the other account as above. Open a terminal and use 'sudo su -l <user>' to get a shell with the right home directory as above.

Move the following files to the backup folder (don’t worry if there any are missing):

mv $HOME/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunesHelper.plist $HOME/Hold/

mv $HOME/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist $HOME/Hold/

mv $HOME/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.syncservices.*.plist $HOME/Hold/

mv $HOME/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.syncservices.*.plist.* $HOME/Hold/

mv $HOME/Library/Preferences/com.apple.syncserver.plist $HOME/Hold/

mv $HOME/Library/Preferences/com.apple.syncserver.plist.* $HOME/Hold/

mv $HOME/Library/Preferences/com.apple.syncservices.*.plist.* $HOME/Hold/

mv $HOME/Library/Preferences/com.apple.syncservices.*.plist $HOME/Hold/

mv $HOME/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.iTunes*.plist $HOME/Hold/

mv $HOME/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.iTunes*.plist.* $HOME/Hold/

Download a fresh copy of iTunes and install it (still in the other account). This will make sure all of the system iTunes files are current.

Log off and restart the Mac immediately after installing iTunes.

Log in as normal to your original account. When you open iTunes you may see an empty library of you have your iTunes library in a non-standard location. If this happens, quit iTunes, then open it again while holding the option key down and iTunes will ask you to choose the folder that contains your iTunes library. The folder you choose should have the 'iTunes Library.xml’ file in it.

Once in iTunes you will need to sign into the iTunes store again. You should also review all the iTunes Preferences to make sure none have been lost. You are now ready to connect your iOS device and sync as usual. All of your iOS device sync settings should be intact.

If you go through all of this - let me know if it works.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2017 2:34 PM in response to Thomas Bolingbroke

I came up with a procedure that leaves all data on the iOS device intact. All changes are only on the Mac side - nothing on the iOS side.

Disclaimer: This procedure requires use of the Unix command line. If you are not familiar with this you should learn about it before you attempt this. This procedure also removes several important configuration files that will be rebuilt in their default state. You should make sure you have a complete backup of you Mac including your home directory and iTunes directory - *and* know how to restore it should you need to. Also make sure your iOS devices are backed up to iCloud. By the way I ran this on macOS 10.12.2 and iTunes 12.5.4.42.

This procedure worked for me (on two different Macs with 3 iOS devices). However YMMV. Also this procedure probably removes more files that are absolutely necessary, but I didn’t want to take the time to figure out exactly what combination of files would cure the problem. Please review the entire procedure and proceed at your own risk.

Preparation:

Close all applications and log out.

Log in to another account on your Mac with Administrator privileges. Create a new account if you don’t already have one.

Open a terminal window. Create a shell under your original user with the command:

sudo su -l <user>

Where <user> is the short user name of the original account that you normally log into (not the one you are using for this procedure). This will prompt for the password of the current account.

Verify that the HOME variable is pointing to right place:

echo $HOME

This should be /Users/<user> where <user> is your short login name of your original account (same as in the ’su -l’ command).

Create a temporary directory to hold some files (you can use whatever name you like):

mkdir Hold

Part 1:

Verify that SyncServer is working normally. If not you need to fix it first. Look in '/var/log/system.log' for messages like:

… com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.syncservices.SyncServer): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

These messages occur at the same time you connect your iOS device and get the “…syncing has been disabled on this computer...” message.

If you see these messages then you need to fix SyncServer before proceeding.

Look at the file '$HOME/Library/Logs/Sync/syncservices.log'. You will likely see messages that contain:

"Can't upgrade SyncServices data schema in directory”. If you see this, you will need to get a clean copy of the directory: '$HOME/Library/Application\ Support/SyncServices/Local/'

I was able to copy this from my account on my laptop. I believe you need to have another account somewhere that is signed into iCloud with the same AppleId as iTunes in the original account with the syncing problem.

I used 'rsync -aE ...' to copy the Local directory into the target account into a the Hold directory above and then moved into the $HOME/Library/Application\ Support/SyncServices/ directory. I did this because rsync has trouble with directories with spaces in the name. This will look something like this as executed on the Mac with a good copy:

rsync -aE Local <user>@<target-mac>:Hold/

Where <user> is the short user name of the account with the problem and <target-mac> is the network name of the Mac with the problem.

Example: from another Mac (user: fred, machine name: imac) with a good '$HOME/Library/Application\ Support/SyncServices/Local' directory:

rsync -aE Local fred@imac:Hold/

Then on original Mac: mv $HOME/Hold/Local $HOME/Library/Application\Support/SyncServices/

After you have repaired SyncServices, you can verify that it is working by logging into your original account and connecting your iOS device. The message described above should no longer occur in ‘/var/log/system.log'. Make sure this is working before you proceed.

On the off chance that you no longer see the “…syncing has been disabled on this computer…” when you plug in your iOS device, you should stop here and see if syncing is working now. Assuming you are still seeing that message proceed to the next step.

Part 2:

Log out of your account and log into the other account as above. Open a terminal and use 'sudo su -l <user>' to get a shell with the right home directory as above.

Move the following files to the backup folder (don’t worry if there any are missing):

mv $HOME/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunesHelper.plist $HOME/Hold/

mv $HOME/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist $HOME/Hold/

mv $HOME/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.syncservices.*.plist $HOME/Hold/

mv $HOME/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.syncservices.*.plist.* $HOME/Hold/

mv $HOME/Library/Preferences/com.apple.syncserver.plist $HOME/Hold/

mv $HOME/Library/Preferences/com.apple.syncserver.plist.* $HOME/Hold/

mv $HOME/Library/Preferences/com.apple.syncservices.*.plist.* $HOME/Hold/

mv $HOME/Library/Preferences/com.apple.syncservices.*.plist $HOME/Hold/

mv $HOME/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.iTunes*.plist $HOME/Hold/

mv $HOME/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.iTunes*.plist.* $HOME/Hold/

Download a fresh copy of iTunes and install it (still in the other account). This will make sure all of the system iTunes files are current.

Log off and restart the Mac immediately after installing iTunes.

Log in as normal to your original account. When you open iTunes you may see an empty library of you have your iTunes library in a non-standard location. If this happens, quit iTunes, then open it again while holding the option key down and iTunes will ask you to choose the folder that contains your iTunes library. The folder you choose should have the 'iTunes Library.xml’ file in it.

Once in iTunes you will need to sign into the iTunes store again. You should also review all the iTunes Preferences to make sure none have been lost. You are now ready to connect your iOS device and sync as usual. All of your iOS device sync settings should be intact.

If you go through all of this - let me know if it works.

Jan 5, 2017 7:46 AM in response to Thomas Bolingbroke

I feel your pain. I have this problem and the only fix I found is to turn off syncing for the device and start syncing again as a new device. This deletes all iTunes synced content from the phone (but not applications). So you have to set up syncing anew - selecting what to sync.

Because this is a huge PITA (my iPhone is 128GB, with lots of stuff) I have only done this with one device (an iPod Touch) - I have the problem on three different devices.

BTW: Apple support was completely useless on this problem. I opened two different cases on this, provided lots of data and each of the support agents stopped responding to any emails or phone calls on both cases.

If you try this, please post your results - it my ispire me to bite the bullet and do this on my other devices (when I have lots of time 🙂).

Jan 5, 2017 9:11 AM in response to MacOde

Thank you MacOde, I'd almost given up on finding a solution.

However I'm not so certain your solution will work for me as I recently replaced my iPhone 4 with an iPhone SE - and have exactly the same problem. I did restore from backup.

I am willing to try anything though. Would you take me through the steps you used to turn off and then turn on syncing? I'll try first with my old iPod which only has music on it. If it works I'll move on to the iPad and SE.

THank you

Apr 6, 2016 3:05 AM in response to chroot

Thanks for your suggestions.

Changing iPhone settings (disconnecting from iMac, change settings, turn off, turn on) didn't change it. Still got the same error.

I don't have a ~/Library/Application Support/SyncServices folder! (I had a look in the Application Support folder - lots there but no SyncServices) So I created one and rebooted the iMac.

However still got the same error.

Dec 3, 2016 2:13 AM in response to Thomas Bolingbroke

I am still having this problem. Here is the console data:

03/12/16 10:48:07.485 iTunesHelper[372]: Entered:_AMMuxedDeviceDisconnected, mux-device:2613

03/12/16 10:48:07.485 iTunesHelper[372]: Entered:__thr_AMMuxedDeviceDisconnected, mux-device:2613

03/12/16 10:48:07.486 iTunesHelper[372]: tid:631f - Mux ID not found in mapping dictionary

03/12/16 10:48:07.486 iTunesHelper[372]: tid:631f - Can't handle disconnect with invalid ecid

03/12/16 10:48:09.149 iTunes[36776]: Entered:_AMMuxedVersion2DeviceConnected, mux-device:2608

03/12/16 10:48:09.156 iTunes[36776]: tid:407 - unable to query device capabilities

03/12/16 10:48:10.258 sandboxd[142]: ([277]) storeaccountd(277) deny file-write-create /Users/xxx/Library/Caches/com.apple.spotlight

03/12/16 10:48:10.343 sandboxd[142]: ([277]) storeaccountd(277) deny file-write-create /Users/xxx/Library/Caches/com.apple.spotlight

03/12/16 10:48:10.490 iTunes[36776]: ApplePushService: APSConnection being used without a delegate queue

03/12/16 10:48:10.578 iTunes[36776]: info> Scale factor of main display = 1.0

03/12/16 10:48:11.096 com.apple.usbmuxd[83]: LOCKDOWN_V2_BONJOUR_SERVICE_NAME is _apple-mobdev2._tcp,912d07eb

03/12/16 10:48:11.104 com.apple.usbmuxd[83]: _SendAttachNotification Device a8:fa:d8:bf:7b:2f@fe80::aafa:d8ff:febf:7b2f._apple-mobdev2._tcp.local. has already appeared on interface 4. Suppressing duplicate attach notification.

03/12/16 10:48:11.105 com.apple.usbmuxd[83]: _SendAttachNotification Device 5c:59:48:c2:0b:29@fe80::5e59:48ff:fec2:b29._apple-mobdev._tcp.local. has already appeared on interface 4. Suppressing duplicate attach notification.

03/12/16 10:48:11.676 com.apple.usbmuxd[83]: _SendAttachNotification Device a0:d7:95:39:e3:87@fe80::a2d7:95ff:fe39:e387._apple-mobdev2._tcp.local. has already appeared on interface 4. Suppressing duplicate attach notification.

03/12/16 10:48:13.867 com.apple.SecurityServer[84]: Session 100932 created

03/12/16 10:48:15.854 AppleMobileDeviceHelper[36781]: [0x7fa973c06900] |ISyncManager|Warning| Sync Server is disabled.

03/12/16 10:48:17.108 com.apple.usbmuxd[83]: _SendAttachNotification Device 80:be:05:e2:ac:6a@fe80::82be:5ff:fee2:ac6a._apple-mobdev2._tcp.local. has already appeared on interface 4. Suppressing duplicate attach notification.

03/12/16 10:48:24.915 AppleMobileDeviceHelper[36781]: [0x7fa973c06900] |ISyncManager|Warning| Sync Server is disabled.

03/12/16 10:48:25.000 AppleMobileDeviceHelper[36781]: [0x7fa973c06900] |ISyncManager|Warning| Popping up alert that that syncing cannot be enabled on this computer, reason: (null)

03/12/16 10:48:25.139 iconservicesagent[324]: Failed to get the real path for: /var/folders/9s/6mq3wt2x51qglsb036gtx_th0000gn/C/com.apple.iconservices

03/12/16 10:48:28.729 authd[133]: copy_rights: _server_authorize failed

03/12/16 10:48:34.749 com.apple.usbmuxd[83]: SCEDeviceSocketCallback 0x7ff191689ac0-iTunes/com.apple.iTunes remote peer closed connection for sce 0x7ff191689ac0.

03/12/16 10:48:38.339 AppleMobileDeviceHelper[36781]: [0x7fa973c06900] |ISyncManager|Warning| Sync Server is disabled.

03/12/16 10:48:39.042 AppleMobileDeviceHelper[36781]: [0x7fa973c06900] |ISyncManager|Warning| Sync Server is disabled.

03/12/16 10:48:39.934 AppleMobileDeviceHelper[36781]: [0x7fa973c06900] |ISyncManager|Warning| Sync Server is disabled.

03/12/16 10:48:40.851 AppleMobileDeviceHelper[36781]: [0x7fa973c06900] |ISyncManager|Warning| Sync Server is disabled.

03/12/16 10:48:56.586 AppleMobileDeviceHelper[36781]: [0x7fa973c06900] |ISyncManager|Warning| Sync Server is disabled.

03/12/16 10:48:56.586 AppleMobileDeviceHelper[36781]: [0x7fa973c06900] |ISyncManager|Warning| Popping up alert that that syncing cannot be enabled on this computer, reason: (null)

03/12/16 10:48:58.273 AppleMobileDeviceHelper[36781]: [0x7fa973c06900] |ISyncManager|Warning| Sync Server is disabled.

03/12/16 10:48:59.038 AppleMobileDeviceHelper[36781]: [0x7fa973c06900] |ISyncManager|Warning| Sync Server is disabled.

03/12/16 10:48:59.039 AppleMobileDeviceHelper[36781]: [0x7fa973c06900] |ISyncManager|Warning| Popping up alert that that syncing cannot be enabled on this computer, reason: (null)

03/12/16 10:49:08.650 AppleMobileDeviceHelper[36781]: [0x7fa973c06900] |ISyncManager|Warning| Sync Server is disabled.

03/12/16 10:49:15.546 Console[36792]: Failed to connect (_consoleX) outlet from (NSApplication) to (ConsoleX): missing setter or instance variable

03/12/16 10:49:15.989 lsd[251]: LaunchServices: Could not store lsd-identifiers file at /private/var/db/lsd/com.apple.lsdschemes.plist

03/12/16 10:49:15.997 lsd[251]: LaunchServices: Could not store lsd-identifiers file at /private/var/db/lsd/com.apple.lsdschemes.plist

03/12/16 10:49:16.618 iconservicesagent[324]: Failed to get the real path for: /var/folders/9s/6mq3wt2x51qglsb036gtx_th0000gn/C/com.apple.iconservices

03/12/16 10:49:26.725 bird[265]: LaunchServices: Failed to create bundleProxy for bundle com.apple.Console

03/12/16 10:49:28.727 authd[133]: copy_rights: _server_authorize failed

Any ideas

Dec 3, 2016 2:25 AM in response to Thomas Bolingbroke

Also I found this in a file called syncservices.log:

2016-12-01 11:58:03:289|SyncServer|32265|0x7ff080c06d20|Server|Info| Sync Server running in disabled mode.

2016-12-01 12:00:03:287|SyncServer|32265|0x7ff080c06d20|Server|Info| Goodnight, Gracie (from disabled mode SyncServer).

2016-12-01 12:03:03:947|SyncServer|32278|0x7fa6e9407210|Logging|Info| Logging initialized, engine version 724 : log

OS X: Resetting Sync Services?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.