Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync iPhone calendar, contacts, notes with Outlook on Mac?

I have an iPhone 6s running iOS 9.3.1 that I would like to sync locally with Outlook for Mac 2011 (calendars, contacts, notes) as I do not want my information hosted in "the cloud". I know that this sync option was removed from iTunes (I currently have 12.3.3.17). Is it possible to do this with the latest version of OS X Server?

MacBook Pro, OS X Server

Posted on Apr 6, 2016 6:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2016 7:47 PM

iTunes does not sync Outlook anymore.

OS X Server has built-in Mail, Calendar and Contacts servers. The protocols supported by Apple's server software are respectively - IMAP, CalDav and CardDav. Of these protocols all three are supported by Apple Mail, all three are supported by iOS i.e. iPhones but Outlook for Mac even Outlook 2016 only supports IMAP i.e. it does not support CalDav or CardDav.

Therefore the answer would be no.

If you had a 'real' Microsoft Exchange server then the answer would be yes, and if you have instead Kerio Connect running on a Mac then the answer would also be yes. This is because both a 'real' Microsoft Exchange server and Kerio Connect support Exchange ActiveSync aka. EAS which is what the iPhone would use, and also supports Exchange Web Services aka. EWS which is what Outlook for Mac supports. (Both 2011 and 2016 versions.)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2016 7:47 PM in response to whitetiger13

iTunes does not sync Outlook anymore.

OS X Server has built-in Mail, Calendar and Contacts servers. The protocols supported by Apple's server software are respectively - IMAP, CalDav and CardDav. Of these protocols all three are supported by Apple Mail, all three are supported by iOS i.e. iPhones but Outlook for Mac even Outlook 2016 only supports IMAP i.e. it does not support CalDav or CardDav.

Therefore the answer would be no.

If you had a 'real' Microsoft Exchange server then the answer would be yes, and if you have instead Kerio Connect running on a Mac then the answer would also be yes. This is because both a 'real' Microsoft Exchange server and Kerio Connect support Exchange ActiveSync aka. EAS which is what the iPhone would use, and also supports Exchange Web Services aka. EWS which is what Outlook for Mac supports. (Both 2011 and 2016 versions.)

May 1, 2016 11:13 AM in response to TheEarthdog

TheEarthdog wrote:

So John, in my case I have a Real Exchange Server how can I link my account?

If your using a real Exchange server then the normal approach is to connect the iPhone using Exchange Active Sync directly to the Exchange server, and the Mac using Exchange Web Services again directly to the Exchange server. As both devices are using the same Exchange account then they will both have the same data. It will not therefore be necessary to try syncing via iTunes. This works for Mail, Calendar and Contacts, or Outlook for Mac.

Sync iPhone calendar, contacts, notes with Outlook on Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.