Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth repeatedly drops

Hi. On my MacBook Pro 10,2 running the latest El Capitan, my wireless mouse and keyboard simultaneously and repeatedly lose their Bluetooth connection several times an hour. Here's the message that shows up in Console:

2:13:44 PM kernel: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][InterruptReadHandler] -- Received kIOReturnNotResponding error - retrying: 1

After much clicking and turning things on and off, the signal returns, with this showing up in Console:

2:14:20 PM kernel:

**** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][ClearFeatureInterruptEndpointHalt] successfully posting another read for the mInt0InterruptPipe -- mInterruptPipeInOutstandingIOCount = 1 -- this = 0x3000

Can anyone help me figure out what's going on? It's driving me nuts.

Thanks,

Michael

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 6, 2016 11:53 AM

2 replies

Apr 16, 2016 11:24 PM in response to Stephen Wines

Wow, same issue here. Except I don't use bluetooth for hardly anything, but I like to keep it on in order to be able to use AirDrop when I need it from my phone.

I do have several bluetooth devices within the vicinity of my MacBook but none of them are paired with this machine and I just checked, they're all physically powered off as well. So, can someone tell us what these errors mean in plain english? I first thought it was some kind of power saving thing but that doesn't really make sense now that I think about it.

I get the same errors in my Console along with 4/17/16 2:16:08.000 AM kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][ClearFeatureInterruptEndpointHalt] -- successfully posting another read for the mInt0InterruptPipe -- mInterruptPipeInOutstandingIOCount = 1 -- this = 0x1800

Not sure what the 0x1800 means in plain english or what the difference is between your 0x3000...

Is there documentation anywhere for Apple's IOBluetoothHostController driver, like what the error codes actually mean and what these InterruptReadHandler messages are? The timing of these (IMHO) also make no sense. Sometimes they can go on and on every 20 seconds or so for hours, and other times if you look in the logs, they are nowhere to be found. Very curious to find out what is triggering these!!

I think the place to start (logically) is getting some kind of documentation for Apple's bluetooth driver.

Can someone please post a link?

Bluetooth repeatedly drops

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.