Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iweb domain error

I use iWeb 3.0.4 on my iMac 27: (2011) using OSX 1.11.3 and my Macbook Air (2015) also using OSX 1.11.3. When I travel I copy the domain to the library and use the MacBook Air. When I return I copy the domain back to the iMac to update all the data.

After being away for 7 weeks I tried to copy the domain back to the iMac and during the copy process I received the following message:

"The Finder can't complete the operation because she data in "Domain.sites2" can't be read or written. Error Code - 36

Without the Domain I am restricted to using only the MacBook Air. Is there anyway to recreate the domain for the existing version. The worst case scenario is to walk away from my favourite application and move to Sparkle...and I really don't want to do that.

I have both computers backed up with Time Machine...albeit The MBA is only done about every 10 days.

Thank You

Huge iWeb Fan

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), software: iMovie 10.1

Posted on Apr 6, 2016 12:57 PM

4 replies

Apr 7, 2016 10:31 AM in response to Wyodor

I think I may have used the iwebsites before as I already have 2 sites merged together since 2008. But downloading the application did not seem to work. I will probably try again on the weekend but in the meantime my plan of attack is to eliminate the error code 36 which I believe is caused by a hidden file .DS_Store.

Since I have an appointment at the genius bar at a Mac Store (for an unrelated hardware problem) tomorrow, I think I will first ask them to 'remove' the error code. If that doesn't work I'll go back to your first suggestion. I am leery doing anything to the domain file since both of the sites continue to function properly on the host computer and those visiting it.

Apr 8, 2016 1:19 AM in response to Dennis Graham

I very much doubt that the people at the Apple Genius bar will help you with iWeb, because it is an unsupported product and has been for the last 4 years at least. It is within their rights not to offer help for unsupported products, so you might be on your own with it.

Your other option is to look for new software that is supported and is being actively developed such as EverWeb.

Apr 9, 2016 12:19 PM in response to Ethmoid

Thank you for you're advice. The "Genius" folks at the Apple Store did work with it but were unsuccessful. The domain file still runs flawlessly on my MBA but still contains the code 36 error. Since I'm unable to duplicate it or copy/paste I think I'm dead in the water. I don't believe there is a method of rewriting the domain if it is not possible to copy it.

But out of this there is still good news. I can continue to use iWeb on the MBA and your suggestion of EverWeb appears to be a good one! Presently I have "Sparkle" but it doesn't appear to be as good as either iWeb or EverWeb, so I could move towards EverWeb.

If I choose to stay with iWeb on my wife's computer she will not be pleased.. and so I may become a new EverWeb client to keep harmony in the family :-)

Thank you

iweb domain error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.