Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband 10.1.0 - Can't open files from old version of Garageband in the new version - they are blank after saving with the updated app!

I'm using a MacBook Pro with OS X El Capitan. I just downloaded GarageBand 10.1.0. When I try to open my existing GarageBand files by either double-clicking or single-clicking and choosing "open", I am only given the option of "saving" the file. When I save the file, it appears in the file-list with a new icon but when I open it, it's empty, rather than containing the recording I made and saved on my previous version of GarageBand.

I'm afraid to keep trying to open them and re-saving them etc., in case this is erasing the files.

Thanks for your help with this. I have years of recordings in those files and I don't want to lose it.

GarageBand 10, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), GarageBand '09

Posted on Apr 6, 2016 1:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2016 4:14 PM

Duplicate the projects before trying to open them and then try to open the copy.

Are you still having GarageBand '09 installed, so you could test, if GarageBand '09 can open them ?

Where are your GarageBand projects stored? In your Music folder on the internal disk or on an external drive?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2016 4:14 PM in response to Anjali33

Duplicate the projects before trying to open them and then try to open the copy.

Are you still having GarageBand '09 installed, so you could test, if GarageBand '09 can open them ?

Where are your GarageBand projects stored? In your Music folder on the internal disk or on an external drive?

Nov 16, 2016 12:09 AM in response to Anjali33

I started most of my tracks on my ipad 2 with garageband that had the virtual drummer, but not the FX mod track.

The ipad bit the dust and I cant afford to replace or upgrade.

I have osx snow leopard at home, with ilife 11 garageband on it.

You guessed it, the ipad gband will not convert, transfer, duplicate, no nothing to open on my desktop.

I typically use ableton(yes i tired opeing it in that program) to produce, and gband for demo. writing process.

I know its old and could use update, like i said tho, I cant afford to replace or upgrade.

I ve tried google drive and icloud drive and direct email to access files, but even If i were to have exported the song or project into itunes cloud, Its still inaccessible because the os is out of date with the itunes required to use ot all.......

APPLE YOU ARE HINDERING MY WORK, which is why i cant afford to upgrade.

k thanks

Garageband 10.1.0 - Can't open files from old version of Garageband in the new version - they are blank after saving with the updated app!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.