Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logon screen does not display for public wifi

I have recently bought two macs (Macbook Pro and Macbook Air).

When I connect to wifi that requires a logon, the Macbook Pro works fine. The Macbook Air does not. It connects to the network but when you open a browser it says that you are not connected to the internet (which is true as no logon has been done).

The forums suggest various ways to address this (try to force the logon screen by entering a URL, look at DNS settings, enter http://192.168.1.1 etc. etc.) but none of these work.

I am fortunate in having two Macs and I have looked at the Network settings, the Notification settings etc. and they are (essentially) identical - things like Mac address are obviously different.

Both Macs are OS X El Captain (Version 10.11.4).

Can anybody help as the Macbook Air is not very useful if I can't access public wifi's?

And if somebody has the definitive answer I think it would help a lot of people.

Many thanks.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), wifi connection

Posted on Apr 6, 2016 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2016 9:27 PM

Being in a hotel, I assume this is an open network. Is that correct? Otherwise the hotel would have to give you the login info. In this situation, going to the top right menu at the airport icon and turning it on would give you a field of available networks to join. If no password is needed, you only have enter the security for it. You would not need the URL for the network. Here are two things to look at. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202222 https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202663 You might also in network preferences wifi advanced TCP/IP click renew DHCP Lease.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2016 9:27 PM in response to gxkendall

Being in a hotel, I assume this is an open network. Is that correct? Otherwise the hotel would have to give you the login info. In this situation, going to the top right menu at the airport icon and turning it on would give you a field of available networks to join. If no password is needed, you only have enter the security for it. You would not need the URL for the network. Here are two things to look at. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202222 https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202663 You might also in network preferences wifi advanced TCP/IP click renew DHCP Lease.

Apr 6, 2016 4:07 PM in response to gxkendall

How are you connected to the router? is it a self assigned DNS or do you have to do it manually. If it's self assigned, delete the wifi settings in system preferences, network. In network/ airport/advanced,under airport click on the preferred network in the box and then the minus. Then close and open the airport icon in the top menu. Make sure airport is on. then click on join network and follow the instructions. you'll be asked for the network name then the security. then your network password. Make sure remember this network is checked. You are essentially deleting the network in system preferences and starting over.

Apr 6, 2016 5:02 PM in response to gxkendall

Hi, and thanks for responding

I am just connected to the hotels wifi. I guess it's their router, but I have no control/access over it. So, I assume that the DNS is assigned (although I am not sure what I am really saying here).

I am connected to the same network using a Macbook Pro - and I get the hotels logon when I join it. I can join okay on the Macbook Air but don't get the logon screen - so I am connected to wifi, but cannot access the internet. I have tried various wifi networks, in different hotels, with the same result - Macbook Pro okay, Macbook Air does not display logon).

I have looked at the Network settings on both Macs, and they are the same.

I tried as you suggested (although could find anything that mentioned 'airport') - but I deleted the network and joined it manually, with the same result - I am on the network but no logon screen is displayed.

Apr 6, 2016 10:32 PM in response to gxkendall

Yes - it's an open network (so no WPA2 password required). You join the network and then (you should) get directed to a logon page where you have to enter things like room number, guest name. Other networks I have tried to join (and have done on my Macbook Pro) will ask for name, DOB, mobile number etc. These are just open networks, not in a hotel.

I have run the Network diagnostics, which tells me (on WAN Connectivity Failure) that I am connected to the router, but not to the internet - which is right I have not gone through logon.

My summary screen looks the same as shown on the link you posted EXECPT the DNS line is missing.

I tried renewing the DHCP lease (after forgetting the network - not sure that is relevant), but still the same.

#VeryFrustrating - but appreciate the help.

Apr 7, 2016 10:17 AM in response to gxkendall

In system preferences -network. Make sure that locations is set for automatic. With the wifi on in network try using the assist me. You might need to delete system configuration file in computer library preferences folder. http://mandarapte.com/apple/reset-rebuild-network-settings-preferences-including -ethernet-wifi-blu Just a thought. Is it possible that the hotel only allows one wifi connection per room. But if you are having this problems with other wifi hot spots ,maybe not. I take it that when at home you have no problem. If you are near to a apple store, you could have them look at it. Also since this is a new computer, you have 90 days of free phone tech support.

Apr 7, 2016 10:43 AM in response to gxkendall

I was staying at a hotel this summer and found I could connect sometimes but others I’d not get the welcome screen and thusly not be online. I tried a different browser. Later I wondered if just emptying the cache would have solved it but by then I was gone and haven’t run into the problem again.

Apr 7, 2016 10:49 AM in response to gxkendall

my ginger: Thank you. The location was automatic, but I did the delete preferences folder thing. I could not actually delete the folder (OS needs it!), but I found another site that tells you which files to delete:

http://osxdaily.com/2012/11/30/resolving-stubborn-wi-fi-connection-problems-in-m ac-os-x/

I need to test more fully but when I connected to the network, a logon screen popped up - which has never happened before. So, I think I am good.

Thank you VERY much. And I hope that this helps others as well.

G

Jun 8, 2016 9:38 AM in response to gxkendall

Many thanks to you both, my air book also worked after deleting the files, although i could it find one of them on the list and maybe it's because I have el captain 10.11.5. was annoying the hotel IT and here was the solution the whole time. My question is what do i with the back up copy's of the file I deleted? Can I throw those away too?

Logon screen does not display for public wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.