You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mute button on the iPad pro

is there not a mute button on the iPad pro 9.7 2016?

GH

Posted on Apr 6, 2016 10:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2017 6:11 AM

Holding the volume button down until it’s muted doesn’t mute notification sounds when the device is locked. To do that, open the control center by swiping up from the bottom of the screen and tapping the bell icon to put the device in silent mode. Not sure why Apple decided to make silent mode separate from mute and make it so you can’t do without opening up the device, but that’s what worked for me.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 31, 2017 6:11 AM in response to GH

Holding the volume button down until it’s muted doesn’t mute notification sounds when the device is locked. To do that, open the control center by swiping up from the bottom of the screen and tapping the bell icon to put the device in silent mode. Not sure why Apple decided to make silent mode separate from mute and make it so you can’t do without opening up the device, but that’s what worked for me.

Oct 31, 2017 8:19 PM in response to Luvmysteelers

I will say that in some ways it’s nice to have the system volume separate from the alert volume - I routinely will watch a video on my ipad, requiring the system volume to be turned up. If the alert volume is tied to the system volume, I would forget to mute it again. I wish they made it a bit more clear and easy to access, but realistically, I’m going to leave my ipad in silent mode most of the time, since I don‘t want it constantly binging when I have it closed.

mute button on the iPad pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.