Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 will not restore or update

Hello,

I just pulled out my old iPhone 4 which I haven't used for probably a year and a half. My iPhone 5c died on me randomly and I have set up an appointment to get it fixed but until then I need to access some apps that I can download onto my 4.

Surprisingly, the battery is still capable of being charged and the phone eventually awoke from its slumber. I then tried to connect to my wi-fi, but none of the wi-fi access points showed up in the list, and the top left of my screen continued to say "searching...". I tried restarting the phone, which proved to be a heck of a lot of trouble because it would show the apple logo on the screen for sooooo long every time. I eventually went to bed and tried to sleep but of course got back up about 10 minutes later and the phone was finally back up. Same wi-fi problem. So I thought I'd try updating.

This is as far as I got before it told me "This phone could not be updated." and then asked me if I wanted to try updating again or to restore and update, I tried updating again, just in case. That didn't work. So I tried restoring twice (and updating because apparently that's required to restore) and it said "This phone could not be restored." I think it gave me an error number (16) and iirc the update error was (17).

Can someone please help?

During my minutes of lying awake anxiously hoping that it would work I realized that I should probably keep my 4 charged and ready just in case my 5c ever dies again, because my Apple Care runs out in June and I probably won't be able to afford a 6 until the 7 is out. Maybe even the 8.

If I'm able to solve this and the wi-fi still doesn't work I'm probably gonna put it in the fridge (My Iphone 4 32gb black can't find any wifi network) because obviously my phone has been reset about a dozen times now and my wi-fi is working with everything else so it's likely not the modem.

iPhone 4 (8GB), iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Apr 7, 2016 2:47 AM

6 replies

Apr 7, 2016 5:26 PM in response to Anduru

I found the answer here: Cannot Restore My Iphone 4 After An Update, Please HELP!

"I was able to resolve this by simply switching usb ports.. "

Worked for me, my phone has restored itself. Now time to try the fridge hack. 😁

Edit: never mind, I just went closer to my modem (right beside it instead of the next room over) and it recognized the connection. Hooray!

Apr 8, 2016 1:17 AM in response to Anduru

Check for hardware issues

If you see error 53, learn what to do.

Errors: 1, 3, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 20, 21, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 34, 35, 36, 37, 40, 56, 1002, 1004, 1011, 1012, 1014, 1667, and 1669.

Your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch or computer might have a hardware issue that stops the update or restore from completing.

1. Check that your security software and settings aren't blocking your device from communicating with the Apple update server.
  2. Try to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod two more times while connected with a cable, computer, and network you know are good.
  3. Make sure that your security software and settings are allowing communication between your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and update servers.
  4. If you still see the error message when you update or restore, contact Apple support.

If you still see the error message, check for outdated or modified software.

Apr 8, 2016 1:17 AM in response to modular747

Hello modular,

Thank you for your reply.

I did figure out how to solve my initial problems (see my second post) but now my phone is saying "Could Not Activate Phone" when I try to set it up, with the message "Your iPhone could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily available. Try connecting your iPhone to iTunes to activate it, or try again in a couple of minutes."

I tried plugging the iPhone in to my computer to activate it through iTunes but it shows a message saying "There is no SIM card installed in the iPhone you are attempting to activate." I opened the sim card tray and there is a sim card in there, albeit not in use I'm assuming as I have not used this phone for over a year and wasn't keeping service activate on it. My friend has an iPhone 3 that is no longer in service that he uses for various things on wi-fi at home, and I was hoping that I could do the same, but now I am afraid that because I attempted to update it and had to restore it that it won't even let me use it on wi-fi because I cannot get past the activation screen.

Any ideas to fix this?

Thank you

Apr 8, 2016 9:17 PM in response to modular747

That link doesn't work for me for some reason, but I had my appointment for my 5c today and asked the tech about my 4, he said to try to DFU it and if that doesn't work that it's probably a hardware issue which probably isn't worth paying to repair. I tried that but unfortunately iTunes still tells me that there is no sim card even though my old sim card is in there.

Thanks for your help though. 🙂

iPhone 4 will not restore or update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.