Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AVRCP 1.3 / 1.4

Hi,

I have a new Bose SoundTouch 30 III

This Bose is without Airplay support, al music is streamed with bluetooth from the iMac (El Capitan) to the Bose. It all works well only the song meta-data is send with the protocal AVRCP 1.4 and the Bose only support AVRCP 1.3

On the Bose display is every song displayed as 'UNKNOWN'

Is there a way to let the iMac send the meta-data in AVRCP 1.3 instead of the 1.4 ?

Thanks

Posted on Apr 7, 2016 3:05 AM

3 replies

Apr 19, 2016 1:40 AM in response to Jammeke

I'm curious about this as well. I'm using a MacBook Pro mid-2012 (non-Retina) with a Bose SoundTouch 20 III. I'm not entirely sure about the AVRCP versions used between the devices, but the Bose does show 'UNKOWN' for me too. It displays song information correctly while playing from my iPhone 6.

If you do happen to find any solutions, please do post them here.

Apr 19, 2016 2:43 AM in response to Jammeke

It does not help but see this - https://www.soundtouch.com/CommunityDetail?_escaped_fragment_/feedtype=SINGLE_QU ESTION_DETAIL&dc=SoundTouch&criteria=ALLQUESTIONS&id=90633000000Gty6AAC

It does suggest that if the sending device is using AVRCP 1.3 or higher then the track names should show and therefore if OS X is using 1.4 in theory the names should show. It might be worth adding a reply to that thread so Bose see it is a wider spread issue.

On a related topic although it does not sound exactly like your issue, iTunes does not automatically fill in the Album Artist tag, this can be one explanation in some cases for tracks showing the artist as 'Unknown'. It might be worth as a test ensuring at least some tracks do have this filled in. This was found here - https://www.soundtouch.com/CommunityDetail?id=906330000008YlMAAU

When iTunes rips an album it typically does not populate the "Album Artist" tag on the music files unless it is different than the main "Artist" tag on the track.

When using the Bose SoundTouch Server with iTunes, the iTunes interface automatically accounts for the above quirk, and substitutes the "Artists" value for "Album Artist" whenever "Album Artist" is blank. However, when using the SoundTouch Server with Windows Media Player, WMP does not perform this substitution, and consequently virtually every track ripped via iTunes shows up under "Unknown Artist" when browsing the media library through SoundTouch. This makes it a real pain to navigate a large music library.

This is a bug in SoundTouch Server. Pretty much every other music browsing software I've ever used is smart enough to account for the "Album Artist" tag being blank by substituting the "Artist" tag. SoundTouch should be able to do the same without needing iTunes or WMP to do it automatically. When I contacted support, their solution was to suggest I either switch back to using iTunes, or retag my entire music library. I find these solutions unacceptable. Please update the SoundTouch Server software to handle this substitution for tracks where "Album Artist" is blank.

Note: The same above page might be another place to log this issue as a request/problem.

Apr 19, 2016 4:44 AM in response to John Lockwood

I think the second one is to do with the SoundTouch Music Server, which streams audio over LAN/WiFi to the SoundTouch system. That, while it works fine, is unrelated and not completely useful anymore considering it doesn't support Apple Music. Not yet at least.

I'd somehow not come across the first thread. If Bose is aware of that issue then I can only assume it's something to do with OS X itself. Or maybe it has to do iTunes providing (rather, not providing) the track information for the Bluetooth service to send to the device. I'm still trying to find ways to fix this, but haven't had any luck so far.

AVRCP 1.3 / 1.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.