Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File under ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext removed

Hi.

I own a MacBookPro from mid 2011 currently updated to El Capitan 10.11.3. Recently, I started having the common issue of the kernel_task process taking over 100% of the CPU usage. For this problem, I followed the solution of removing the file MacBookPro8_2.plist under /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACP_SMC _PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/.

After doing this, the problem was solved and the kernel_task process is now normal and my computer is more responsive. However, I'm concerned about the later consequences of removing this file. Although I made a backup of the file, I don't know what important hardware features could be impacted from removing the file, like fan control when the laptop overheats for example.

My question is, could there be any side effects after what I did? or is it completely safe to leave it like this?

The kernel_task problem originated after I had my battery replaced.

Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 7, 2016 6:01 AM

6 replies

Apr 7, 2016 2:26 PM in response to JuanSebastian

I'm concerned about the later consequences of removing this file.

The consequences are that you now have a corrupt OS installation, as well as as a possible hardware fault. You should never delete built-in system components on the advice of some random stranger on a message board, who doesn't know what he's talking about and takes no responsibility for what happens.

Apr 7, 2016 6:38 PM in response to Linc Davis

I understood that I was going to corrupt the system configuration but I just wanted to know exactly what possible hardware faults could be present in the future. What happens is that I am planning on buying a new MBP in a few months so it makes no sense investing money on technical assistance or repair; I just wanted a fast solution while I acquire the new laptop; still, I made a backup of the file so what I did can be easily fixed.

Jul 13, 2016 10:46 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you Linc. So many people seem to have used this hack for what seems like a relatively common issue. I've just come across a MacBook Air 2013 where the kernel_task is running at 240% and the fans are blowing hard and don't stop. The kernel_task cpu usage is pegged at 240%. I booted from a cleanly installed 10.11.5 on an external USB connected hard drive where the the MacBook Air onboard OS is Mavericks. Fans started going full tilt even at the login page. Would it be right to assume that the fans going hard in both cases, external and internal boot drives with different OS's, means that the fault can't lie with a corrupted kext file? Namely ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext? Or even be software related given that the external drive has a vanilla 10.11.5 on it? i.e. it's likely to be hardware related?

File under ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext removed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.