Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot login in to iChat and FaceTime.

I have been getting this message since ages. I type in the correct username and password. I know that. When i reset Key Chain, the situation improves but final result is the same error screen. Tired and sick w/ old password remaining keychain. iPhone and iPad works great. Mac ***** from this point of view. Can someone help me reset Keychain login once and for all?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 7, 2016 5:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2016 11:37 AM

Hi,

Up to Yosemite (OS X 10.10.x) you can open Keychain Access and then the App's Menu > Keychain First Aid and then Sync the Login Keychain to have the same Password and the Mac User Account has to Login.

In El Capitan this option is not there and you have to set the password manually.

If this is what you are doing but the Password is not sticking then you have to check you actually "Own" the Login Keychain and have Permissions to Read and Write to it.

IN a Finder window use the Go Menu whilst holding down the ALT key.

Select the Library item that appears in the Menu list

Navigate to Keychains.

Highlight the Login one and do a "Get Info" (CMD+i)

Scroll to the bottom.

You should be listed in the list of Accounts that can have access to the File (it will be in the form of your Shortname)

You should have Read and Write Access and also have (me) in the name.

Highlight your name.

Under the list is a cogwheel type icon which may need you to unlock the padlock to access. This should show a greyed out phrase if your Own the file, "Make yourshortname (Me) the Owner" as if it is already done.

Report back if this produces any change or not.

User uploaded file

7:37 pm Thursday; April 7, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (El Capitan)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2016 11:37 AM in response to shyam fdl

Hi,

Up to Yosemite (OS X 10.10.x) you can open Keychain Access and then the App's Menu > Keychain First Aid and then Sync the Login Keychain to have the same Password and the Mac User Account has to Login.

In El Capitan this option is not there and you have to set the password manually.

If this is what you are doing but the Password is not sticking then you have to check you actually "Own" the Login Keychain and have Permissions to Read and Write to it.

IN a Finder window use the Go Menu whilst holding down the ALT key.

Select the Library item that appears in the Menu list

Navigate to Keychains.

Highlight the Login one and do a "Get Info" (CMD+i)

Scroll to the bottom.

You should be listed in the list of Accounts that can have access to the File (it will be in the form of your Shortname)

You should have Read and Write Access and also have (me) in the name.

Highlight your name.

Under the list is a cogwheel type icon which may need you to unlock the padlock to access. This should show a greyed out phrase if your Own the file, "Make yourshortname (Me) the Owner" as if it is already done.

Report back if this produces any change or not.

User uploaded file

7:37 pm Thursday; April 7, 2016

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Apr 8, 2016 12:11 PM in response to shyam fdl

Hi,

So the password you use to Login in to your Mac when you start it up is now the same as the Login Keychain's password ?

Also apart form changing the Info Panel for Admin and the Username to Read and Write did you also check Ownership ?

User uploaded file

The Mac User Account name should be in the List.

That should have Read And Write

Unlock the Padlock and use the Cogwheel type icon

The "Make username (Me) the owner" line should be greyed out as if it is already done and you Are the owner.

I have used a pic from another posting

However for me there is not "admin" listing of the potential Users.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

8:11 pm Friday; April 8, 2016

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Cannot login in to iChat and FaceTime.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.