You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you open ai. files without buying Adobe Illustrator?

Is there an app that will allow me to to open ai. files on my Macbook Pro without buying Adobe Illustrator, please?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 7, 2016 2:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2016 9:15 AM

I have a number of technical drawings drawn in ai format (Illustrator CS2) left over from a 2007 project and I can view (read-only) them at least three ways without Illustrator:

1) Use Quickview. Highlight the desired file and press the SPACE bar

2) I just confirmed Preview works.

3) Adobe Reader will open it.

Editing may not be possible without Illustrator. Right-clicking to see "Open with..." on of my .ai file shows two other installed programs will open the files. I have PhotoShop Elements 12 as one option. I just tried importing an .ai into PSE and it converts it to a pdf on the fly before presenting on-screen, so editing is probably nit possible.

I also bought Affinity Designer, which is an Illustrator replacement that is affordable. The latter is in the App Store for a "doable" price of US$50 here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/affinity-designer/id824171161?mt=12

Unfortunately it also treats the file as an imported pdf and, and as the file was grouped and flattened in Illustrator, Designer's "ungroup" command is greyed out so I can't edit. Success in editing may totally depend on how the file was treated in Illustrator when it was created.

Still one gets a nice view by most of these methods, although PSE uses Adobe's grey/with checkerboard pattern to denote the transparent background--a tad ugly.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 16, 2016 9:15 AM in response to skiddlesbean

I have a number of technical drawings drawn in ai format (Illustrator CS2) left over from a 2007 project and I can view (read-only) them at least three ways without Illustrator:

1) Use Quickview. Highlight the desired file and press the SPACE bar

2) I just confirmed Preview works.

3) Adobe Reader will open it.

Editing may not be possible without Illustrator. Right-clicking to see "Open with..." on of my .ai file shows two other installed programs will open the files. I have PhotoShop Elements 12 as one option. I just tried importing an .ai into PSE and it converts it to a pdf on the fly before presenting on-screen, so editing is probably nit possible.

I also bought Affinity Designer, which is an Illustrator replacement that is affordable. The latter is in the App Store for a "doable" price of US$50 here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/affinity-designer/id824171161?mt=12

Unfortunately it also treats the file as an imported pdf and, and as the file was grouped and flattened in Illustrator, Designer's "ungroup" command is greyed out so I can't edit. Success in editing may totally depend on how the file was treated in Illustrator when it was created.

Still one gets a nice view by most of these methods, although PSE uses Adobe's grey/with checkerboard pattern to denote the transparent background--a tad ugly.

How do you open ai. files without buying Adobe Illustrator?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.