Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i compose utf-8 characters from the keyboard (osx 10.11.4)?

Hi,

In other un-named operating systems you press ALT-E28099 to enter a utf character.

I have seen instructions on how to do this in previous version of OSX, but these instructions no longer work.

They point me to System Preferences | Language and Text -> then a way to select UTF, but this ability is no longer in the new Laguage&Region settings.

When I go to my little US flag in the upper right menu area, I am not shown UTF-8 as a possibility.

help!

Thanks!!!

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 7, 2016 4:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2017 1:04 PM

Here is how to enable the unicode keyboard:

Go to System Preferences and click Keyboard:

User uploaded file

Click the + button in the lower-left corner:

User uploaded file

Search for unicode:

User uploaded file

Click Unicode Hex Input and click Add:

User uploaded file

The Unicode Hex Input is now available from the system toolbar:

User uploaded file

After selecting Unicode Hex Input, hold down option while you type in the unicode for the desired character. For example, option-00a0 is non-breaking space.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2017 1:04 PM in response to danfrommilpitas

Here is how to enable the unicode keyboard:

Go to System Preferences and click Keyboard:

User uploaded file

Click the + button in the lower-left corner:

User uploaded file

Search for unicode:

User uploaded file

Click Unicode Hex Input and click Add:

User uploaded file

The Unicode Hex Input is now available from the system toolbar:

User uploaded file

After selecting Unicode Hex Input, hold down option while you type in the unicode for the desired character. For example, option-00a0 is non-breaking space.

Apr 7, 2016 5:22 PM in response to danfrommilpitas

OS X doesn't use utf-8 for input. Normally you would use the Character Viewer (Edit > Emoji and Symbols) to input characters which are not already included in the keyboard layout via option and option plus shift. It has an option to show all of Unicode.

If you really want to input special characters via numbers, you can go to system prefs/keyboard/input sources and activate the Unicode Hex keyboard layout. With that you can input any character by holding down the option key and typing its 4-digit (or 8-digit for those beyond the BMP) Unicode hex number. e28099 is 2019 in hex. It's the curly apostrophe which can also be made directly from the US keyboard via option shift ]

How do i compose utf-8 characters from the keyboard (osx 10.11.4)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.