You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Preview cannot open Adobe PDF v8?

Macbook Pro Mid-2012 El Capitan

I am trying to open a pdf on my Mac but get the follow message from Preview:

The document you are trying to load requires Adobe Reader 8 or higher. You may not have the Adobe Reader installed or your viewing environment may not be properly configured to use Adobe Reader.

For information on how to install Adobe Reader and configure your viewing environment please see http://www.adobe.com/go/pdf_forms_configure.

I do not want to install Adobe. They have always made terrible software. I am quite surprised that Preview cannot open the latest version.

What is going on?

Do i have to install Adobe Reader?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 7, 2016 5:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 4, 2016 9:15 AM

VikingOSX wrote: "No dispute on bloatware. You should be using Adobe Acrobat Reader 11.0.15, or Adobe Acrobat Reader DC v15.010.20060 on El Capitan, or their Acrobat Pro versions."

wpapke wrote: "Bottomline, Adobe ***** and Apple has no excuse in avoiding making Preview functional. I've been using Macs since the 128 and over the years Apple had become much less of the computer for the other guy."

I certainly agree with wpapke and after installing the latest Adobe Reader and watching with Little Snitch what goes out of my computer to the company, i do not agree with VikingOSX. It is not only poorly designed bloatware, this is highly intrusive software. What is almost as bad, unless you buy Adobe Acrobat at an exorbitant cost, you CANNOT SAVE a completed form with Adobe Reader DC!

What no one has explained is a Apple's strategy. Because Adobe Reader is historically read only there has not been an issue with copyright. The Adobe Reader DC cannot be used to save forms. This is crazy. I cannot fill out a long complicated form and save it, but can only print it.

1. I cannot see any copyright issue if it cannot be saved, so what's the problem

2. Why can't Apple design it's own read and save algorithms that will export across platforms?

3. This is ridiculous software. Adobe has a corner on a market that it abusing to the detriment of everyone.

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 4, 2016 9:15 AM in response to tmcdanel

VikingOSX wrote: "No dispute on bloatware. You should be using Adobe Acrobat Reader 11.0.15, or Adobe Acrobat Reader DC v15.010.20060 on El Capitan, or their Acrobat Pro versions."

wpapke wrote: "Bottomline, Adobe ***** and Apple has no excuse in avoiding making Preview functional. I've been using Macs since the 128 and over the years Apple had become much less of the computer for the other guy."

I certainly agree with wpapke and after installing the latest Adobe Reader and watching with Little Snitch what goes out of my computer to the company, i do not agree with VikingOSX. It is not only poorly designed bloatware, this is highly intrusive software. What is almost as bad, unless you buy Adobe Acrobat at an exorbitant cost, you CANNOT SAVE a completed form with Adobe Reader DC!

What no one has explained is a Apple's strategy. Because Adobe Reader is historically read only there has not been an issue with copyright. The Adobe Reader DC cannot be used to save forms. This is crazy. I cannot fill out a long complicated form and save it, but can only print it.

1. I cannot see any copyright issue if it cannot be saved, so what's the problem

2. Why can't Apple design it's own read and save algorithms that will export across platforms?

3. This is ridiculous software. Adobe has a corner on a market that it abusing to the detriment of everyone.

May 4, 2016 12:24 PM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX wrote: "I filled out my IRS PDF forms this year in Adobe Acrobat DC, and then used Save As to duplicate those completed forms...

.. Apple's policies are spelled out in their licensing documents found on their site.

.. You won't be satisfied by my response, or anyone elses response."

On your first point, "Save As.." Adobe Acrobat DC costs $477.99 from CDW. I suspect there are cheaper versions of the product that may serve the need of saving, but i posted the question partly because i was looking for a free work around, or to find out if Apple was planning to address the problem. This is what i see:

User uploaded file

... and "Save As..." is no help.

Which brings me to your 2nd point, (Apple's policies are spelled out..) i don't see that copyright is an issue if Apple designs their own solution. A parallel example is how Apple OS X allows the creation of PDFs in the print drivers. There is no copyright infringement of Adobe formats here. But there is a lot of things i don't understand about software copyrights. There are many licensing documents on their site so i am not certain what insight to gain there. Hence another reason i wrote the question, as an inquiry which as not been answered. More explicitly,

why cannot Apple give Preview the ability to save completed forms, even if they are not cross-platform saves?

As to your third point about my perpetual dissatisfaction. My wife has also pointed this out, so i suspect you are on to something here VikingOSX. But in any case, thank you for your responses and those of wpapke and others.

May 4, 2016 9:55 AM in response to tmcdanel

I filled out my IRS PDF forms this year in Adobe Acrobat DC, and then used Save As to duplicate those completed forms to different named PDF document copies that contained all of the original content. How can you say this facility does not work, when it clearly worked for me.

Adobe products communicate to their mothership while in use. You either choose to accept that fact as a condition of use, and their licensing policy, or find another product that probably also talks to that vendor's servers. It boils down to user choice and understanding. This is the price of admission to using applications in 2016. Otherwise, you disconnect your device (Mac, Windows, Linux, iOS, Android) from the Internet.

Apple's policies are spelled out in their licensing documents found on their site.

You won't be satisfied by my response, or anyone elses response.

May 4, 2016 9:59 AM in response to tmcdanel

tmcdanel wrote:

I do not want to install Adobe. They have always made terrible software.

To be fair, one of the things that makes Adobe so horribly disappointing now is that at one time they did make good software (Photoshop, Type Manager, Type Reunion, InDesign), and were not a nightmare to do business with.

OS X Preview cannot open Adobe PDF v8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.