Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

screen on iphone 6 plus wont rotate during song playback

I discovered today that my iphone 6 plus doesn't rotate to landscape when I play a song.it does for youtube and on home screen, therefore lock screen is not enabled . I have switched from zoom back to standard and reset settings. its up to date ios 9.3.1

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 7, 2016 7:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2016 4:54 PM

Hello Missesj,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I understand that you're expecting the "Now Playing" screen in the Music app to rotate in landscape orientation. Some apps, like the Music app, don't rotate. You can make sure the rotate function is working however by testing in another app, like Calculator:

Check your settings and test with an app that rotates

Some apps don't rotate. Some might use only portrait or landscape mode, or switch depending on the content. To test screen rotation, open the Calculator app that comes with your device. If the screen doesn't rotate when you rotate the device, try these steps:

1. If you see User uploaded file in the status bar, Orientation Lock is on. To turn it off, swipe up from the bottom of the screen to open the Control Center, then tap User uploaded file.
    User uploaded file
  2. If you have an iPhone 6 Plus or iPhone 6s Plus, turn off Display Zoom to rotate the Home screen.
  3. If you have an iPad with a Side Switch, turn the Side Switch on or off.

Get more help

If you checked your settings and your screen still doesn't rotate when you use an app that should rotate (like the Calculator app), follow these steps:

1. Restart your iOS device.
  2. If the screen still won't rotate, contact Apple Support.

If the screen doesn‘t rotate on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Take care.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2016 4:54 PM in response to Missesj

Hello Missesj,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I understand that you're expecting the "Now Playing" screen in the Music app to rotate in landscape orientation. Some apps, like the Music app, don't rotate. You can make sure the rotate function is working however by testing in another app, like Calculator:

Check your settings and test with an app that rotates

Some apps don't rotate. Some might use only portrait or landscape mode, or switch depending on the content. To test screen rotation, open the Calculator app that comes with your device. If the screen doesn't rotate when you rotate the device, try these steps:

1. If you see User uploaded file in the status bar, Orientation Lock is on. To turn it off, swipe up from the bottom of the screen to open the Control Center, then tap User uploaded file.
    User uploaded file
  2. If you have an iPhone 6 Plus or iPhone 6s Plus, turn off Display Zoom to rotate the Home screen.
  3. If you have an iPad with a Side Switch, turn the Side Switch on or off.

Get more help

If you checked your settings and your screen still doesn't rotate when you use an app that should rotate (like the Calculator app), follow these steps:

1. Restart your iOS device.
  2. If the screen still won't rotate, contact Apple Support.

If the screen doesn‘t rotate on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Take care.

Aug 19, 2016 3:21 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Why though? Why did Apple decide to remove this feature? Does it cause an issue with the phone? I have noticed this seems to be the case with most music playing apps on iPhones including Slacker Radio and Pandora. The players will not rotate to landscape view.

They have in the past however so why did it stop? I could be wrong, but Slacker radio does rotate on Android phones, at least it used to.

This is a minor frustration, but very annoying and I am curious if there is a technical reason Apple does does not do this.

I would love to know.

Aaron

screen on iphone 6 plus wont rotate during song playback

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.