Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot access Boot Camp Windows after keyboard and trackpad stopped working

Hi,

I was running Boot Camp Windows 7 on my Macbook Air (late 2010) fine, but yesterday all of a sudden the trackpad and keyboard suddenly stopped working on Windows.

I panicked and restarted my laptop using the power button. The trackpad and keyboard were still not working so I connected my external mouse and keyboard, which worked. However, I was unable to access Boot Camp Windows 7 any longer as I've got a completely black screen after rEFIt/rEFInd page and there were no Boot Camp disk to load when I pressed the option(alt) button either.

I searched online and found that perhaps Windows 7 Installer disk (either on USB/CD/DVD) could go into repair the situation. This did not work.

I was still able to access Mac OS X, so I backed up important files in Boot Camp and tried another go at reinstalling Windows 7, but I still get a black screen with no cursor dot. i eventually even tried reinstalling Mac OS X and update to El Capitan, but it didn't work.

I noticed that whenever I access Mac OS X, the mouse/trackpad cursor is positioned at the same position that I was last in as the trackpad/keyboard stopped working (as in even though I moved my mouse "arrow" cursor, if I reboot, that cursor would be positioned at the same spot that I was at when trackpad and keyboard stopped working in Boot Camp Windows 7).

I have tried SMC and PRAM reset (it's strange that doing these reset on the internal keyboard of the laptop works by the way), but the problem is still there.

Is this a software or hardware issue? Lastly, I dropped this laptop about 2 weeks ago, but it was not a severe drop and the laptop continued to work.

Any suggestions and help are welcome. Please help me out here friends!

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 7, 2016 10:15 PM

6 replies

Apr 8, 2016 3:58 AM in response to blinker23

Hard reboots on windows are known to left, in rare cases, damage to the partition table.

As you said you still can boot on Mac, I'd suggest to use Bootcamp assistant to remove the Windows partition first, then reboot (it forces a reload of the partition table and makes you sure old inconsistent data there hadn't been loaded by the Mac), then reinstall Windows using Bootcamp assistant.

If both trackpad and keyboard stopped working at same time, it hints to me you were using an USB hub, if that the case or not, I anyway suggest you to make operations with only the keyboard and mouse attached to the Mac, and keep all other peripherals (printer and so on) disconnected while doing the install operations.

Apr 8, 2016 1:53 PM in response to blinker23

If the keyboard/trackpad works properly in OSX, a hardware failure is very unlikely. You can boot your Mac and hold the D key to run diagnostics. Your Keyboard/Trackpad connect via an internal USB bus. You can see this connection in OSX under System Report -> USB.

I do not use rEFIt/rEFInd. Is there a specific need in your environment to use it?

Cannot access Boot Camp Windows after keyboard and trackpad stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.