Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import music as loop

Hey, is it correct that it is not longer possible to import purchased music to GarageBand? 😟

Posted on Apr 8, 2016 1:44 AM

9 replies

Apr 22, 2016 2:06 AM in response to léonie

Just different songs I bought: For example, perhaps a year ago, I made a ring tone from "Jump" (Van Halen) for my iPhone 6. The GarageBand project is still present in the cloud, so I could recreate the tone when I got my iPhone 6S. But it is no longer possible to create other ring tones that way. I have many other songs (bought) in iTunes, but none of them (including Jump) can be imported to GarageBand any longer.

Apr 22, 2016 3:16 AM in response to MaedMaex

You should still be able to music into your project. In the tracks layout tap the Loops icon, then Music, then select from Album, Artists... Songs. Tap an item to preview it, drag it to an existing audio track or to the bottom of the tracks list so it makes a new one.

As it says, protected songs and songs not shored locally on the device cannot be imported. If you're using Apple Music it may well be that the content you want to add is considered as protected, even if it is something previously ripped or purchased.

tt2

Apr 22, 2016 6:48 AM in response to MaedMaex

MaedMaex wrote:

The other visible songs are from Apple Music.

As I said.

If you're using Apple Music it may well be that the content you want to add is considered as protected, even if it is something previously ripped or purchased.

I don't have an active Apple Music subscription for testing so I cannot be absolutely certain. My tracks are not greyed out.

tt2

Apr 22, 2016 8:26 AM in response to MaedMaex

Once you start using Apple Music the media is no longer synced from your iTunes library but copied over the air. What will get copied will most likely be a file with DRM attached, and thus not eligible for use with GarageBand. In the music app do the tracks at least show up as on the device rather than in the cloud? If you connect to iTunes can you see the tracks and inspect the Kind column of what is stored on the device?

tt2

Import music as loop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.