Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.3.3 crashs in module JavaScriptCore.dll

Hello,

in the Support Communities many threads can be found that are discussing this issue but it seems no one at Apple is taking this issue seriously.

Reproducable, iTunes 12.3.3.17 crashs when it tries connecting to the internet (Welcome tour, iTunes Store, Connect, etc.) and when the Proxy configuration of the Windows client is done with a proxy.pac file. The crash does not occur when the automatic configuration with proxy.pac is removed. The crash occurs in the module JavaScriptCore.dll. Proxy.pac files are usually written in JavaScript code (functions). Therefore, it really fits together that there is a programming error within iTunes. It occurs with Windows 7 and also with Windows 10 and we tested on 5 machines with our proxy configuration. Also, we tested another machine with another pac file - same issue (therefore not related only to our company pac file).

So far as I can remember and what also can be found in the internet, a very similar (or same?) issue occured with an older version of iTunes where Apple has released a fixed version afterwards.

Here in the forums the "solutions" stated are somehow remove, uninstall, use older iTunes version, do not use a proxy (see for example https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7512721). We have around 5.000 iOS devices and employees have already bought the new iPad Pro 9,7" or iPhone SE devices and are going to use iTunes for local backup old device and restore on new device where 12.3.3 is required for these two new devices. Currently, we use v12.3.1 which does not have this issue. Also, we're not able to disable or change the proxy settings, which is obviously for bigger companies. Also already mentioned, that we tried on multiple machines, so reinstall would not change anything.

We, and many others, need a solution and Apple should start seeing the issue and fix it accordingly.

Should you require any more information like exact error messages, version information, proxy pac examples, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thanks,

Daniel

iTunes-OTHER, Windows 10

Posted on Apr 8, 2016 2:58 AM

7 replies

Apr 11, 2016 11:52 PM in response to DanielK030

I had the same problem on two PCs one a new one running a freshly installed copy of Windows which I installed a newly downloaded copy of iTunes onto. And as others have said, not using a PAC file works. If I point directly to our authenticated proxy and authenticate instead of using the PAC file, the iTunes store opens fine, if you then go back to using the PAC file, it stays open.

Apr 29, 2016 11:54 AM in response to Leigh Scott

I tried these workarounds (using a direct connection or a simple proxy instead of a .pac file), and the one where we change the settings in the Java control panel, and none worked for me. iTunes either crashes anyway after a few minutes or just hangs while it's loading the library.

I even tried this:

Uninstall 12.3.3

Install 12.3.1

Copy the file JavaScriptCore.dll in a safe place

Uninstall 12.3.1

Install 12.3.3

Replace JavaScriptCore.dll with the one saved from 12.3.1

iTunes won't start as it's looking for a specific function that is absent form the old version...

I have crash reports from Windows Error Reporting available, if someone's interested...

Please Apple, publish a version with JavaScriptCore.dll that is compatible with .pac files !

iTunes 12.3.3 crashs in module JavaScriptCore.dll

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.