Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Attempting to update iPhoto v9.4.3 and am told Update not available because it was bought by a different user despite fact that my new Mac Utilities show this it obtained from Apple 4/19/13. How can I correct this?

My attempt to update iPhoto which shows in Utilities Folder as having been obtained from Apple on 4/19/13 is rejected w/notice that the Update is unavailable for this Apple ID because it was bought by a different user. How can I obtain the Update?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), Other OS, OS v10.11.4

Posted on Apr 8, 2016 9:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2016 10:13 AM

There are a couple of inconsistencies in your question:

1 - If you're running 10.11.4 then you can't possible be wanting to download iPhoto 9.4.3 because it won't run on El Capitan. You'll need iPhoto 9.6.1.

2 - If you're getting the message that iPhoto was purchased under a different Apple ID then it leads us to ask if you bought your iMac new or used? Try going to the App Store, sign out and then sign in with your Apple ID and see if you get the same message.

Just so we're no the same page what system are you running? What version of iPhoto do you currently have? Did you purchase the iMac new or used?

User uploaded file

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2016 10:13 AM in response to cliff82

There are a couple of inconsistencies in your question:

1 - If you're running 10.11.4 then you can't possible be wanting to download iPhoto 9.4.3 because it won't run on El Capitan. You'll need iPhoto 9.6.1.

2 - If you're getting the message that iPhoto was purchased under a different Apple ID then it leads us to ask if you bought your iMac new or used? Try going to the App Store, sign out and then sign in with your Apple ID and see if you get the same message.

Just so we're no the same page what system are you running? What version of iPhoto do you currently have? Did you purchase the iMac new or used?

User uploaded file

Apr 8, 2016 10:45 AM in response to Old Toad

This Mac was purchased new after the prior G-5 crashed totally. I retrieved much of the lost material using my Seagate backup. Am running OS X El Capitan v 10.11.4. w/Photo v1.5. The retrieved material included iPhoto 9.4.3 which indicated it had been purchased from Apple on 4/19/13 and I know I was the purchaser. When I go to the App Store Downloads, it shows that Update 9.6.1 is available but when I initiate the download I get a notice that this update is unavailable w/this Apple ID because either it was bought by a different user or refunded or cancelled. I am pretty sure that I used the same e-mail address when I purchased the iPhoto, but possibly had a different password - could that be the answer? If so, Is there a method to retrieve the prior password? I very much appreciate your help - Many

Apr 8, 2016 11:59 AM in response to cliff82

The updates tab of the AppStore does not work any longer for iPhoto in any country. You can only update by reinstalling. as OT described. To be able to reinstall the Spotlight index must not see iphoto installed on your computer. That is why you need to move your current version to the Trash. And disconnect any external drives that may have a backup copy.

if iPhoto does not show in your Purchases history (the fourth tab of the AppStore) try to unhide it. See. iTunes Store: Hiding and unhiding purchases

Then click the Install button on the Purchases tab to the right of iPhoto. Forget the updates pane for iPhoto, it simply does not work any longer.

If iPhoto does not show in your Purchases history at all, contact the AppStore support and ask for a redeem code for iPhoto.

Attempting to update iPhoto v9.4.3 and am told Update not available because it was bought by a different user despite fact that my new Mac Utilities show this it obtained from Apple 4/19/13. How can I correct this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.