Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Devices no longer recognized by Windows 10

I tried to connect a new iPhone 6s to iTunes today and discovered that my laptop is no longer recognizing my iPad or the new iPhone and they do not show up as devices in iTunes.

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 8, 2016 6:01 PM

12 replies

Aug 16, 2017 6:30 AM in response to Carrotsmountmartha

I believe I had tried all of the suggested fixes to get mt win10 pc to recognize my iPhone 5s but after a lot of searching and frustration my pc would not even charge, it was as though the phone was not connected at all. (yes I tried several cords) I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner but then i tried the compatibility mode on the AppleMobilityDeviceS as shown below and it worked. 🙂 For me anyway.User uploaded file

Apr 8, 2016 6:34 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks for the feedback.

I have the latest software on all devices. I have run the Device diagnostic on my PC and it says that the iPad isn't connected, same for the iPhone.

I have tried changing the lighting cable, tried different USB slots, rebooted my computer and the iPad.

It was working yesterday so it "appears" to be related to connection of my new iPhone but I can't understand why this would also affect the iPad.

Apr 8, 2016 6:59 PM in response to ManSinha

Unfortunately nothing has changed. One thing to note. The phone connects to Windows "Phone Companion" when I connect the device which I have never seen before. his Windows software seems to recognize it as an iPhone and even knows how much memory it has left. It also gives me Windows options for transferring photos etc. Still not visible in iTunes and not one of the connected devices.

Apr 8, 2016 7:27 PM in response to Carrotsmountmartha

Try this tip from fellow ASC User turingtest2.

Try the following:

1. Open Control Panel > Device Manager
  2. Plug in your device
  3. Locate Universal Serial Bus Controllers > Apple Mobile Device USB Driver.
    It is also possible the device may show under Imaging Devices, Portable Devices or Other Devices or as an MTB USB Device.
  4. Right-click and select Update Driver Software...
  5. Click Browse my computer for driver software
  6. Browse to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers
  7. Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
  8. Click Apple Mobile Device USB Driver
  9. Click Next, then Close and exit Device Manager

Or try iPhone, iPad, or iPod not recognized in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support

Failing that try a full tear down and rebuild of iTunes as set out in Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

Apple Devices no longer recognized by Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.