Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

play iTunes playlists through Sonos system?

We have a Sonos system throughout the house and I would like to play my iTunes playlists through it. The Sonos app lists Apple Music as a service that can be added, but there doesn't seem to be a way to add my iTunes playlists. Anyone know how to do this? I have iPad and iPhone but I'd rather control it through my iMac.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Apr 8, 2016 6:51 PM

7 replies

Aug 11, 2017 12:51 PM in response to judysings

The SONOS-recommended approach does not do what I am looking for. I want to use my SONOS speakers to play from iTunes, not just drawing on the same music files. In particular I want the Last-Played Time-stamp and Play Count in iTunes updated when I play through SONOS.

I do this today by connecting the audio-jack of my iPod to a Play:5 line-in. However this means the music is first rendered to analogue by the iPod, and then digitised and compressed by the Play:5. I'm not sure why but this seems to overload my SONOS-wifi network, and as a result the source Play:5 keeps dropping (both the music and also from the entire network so that I have to repeatedly re-add it).

Anyone got a solution?

Thanks /Bill

Apr 10, 2016 7:01 AM in response to JBCinSD

Hi JBCinSD,

I understand you would like to play your iTunes Library playlists through your Sonos system. I found this resource from Sonos that explains how to do it.

Adding and updating your music library

Sonos makes it easy to stream your music library from any computer or network-attached storage (NAS) device on your network throughout your home. Add your music from up to 16 different computers in a matter of minutes.

While it's possible to add your music library using a mobile controller, it's best to use a Mac or Windows computer as it will automatically adjust the necessary settings. The following instructions apply to the Sonos Desktop Controller App for Mac or PC.

Before you begin, make sure you download the Sonos Desktop Controller App for Mac or PC and install it on the computer that contains your music library files.

Adding your music library using a desktop controller

1. From the “Manage” menu, select “Music Library Settings”.
  2. Click + (plus) on a Mac, or “Add” if you are using a PC.
  3. If you use iTunes or are not sure where your music is stored, leave “In My Music folder” selected. If your music is located outside of the My Music folder, select the appropriate option.
  4. Type in your computer's password if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete adding your music library. Depending on the size of your music library it may take up to 15 minutes to index.

Updating the music library index

Whenever you make changes to your music library, such as adding and removing tracks, creating new playlists, or adjusting album artwork, you will need to update the music index on Sonos before these changes will show up in the Sonos controller.

Sonos Controller App for iOS or Android:

1. Touch “Manage Music Library” under “Settings”.
  2. Then select “Update Music Index Now”.
  3. Touch “Scan Now” to confirm.

Sonos Desktop Controller App for Mac or PC:

1. From the “Manage” menu, click “Update Music Library Now”.
  2. Click “Yes” to confirm.

Updating the music index may take several minutes to complete.

You mentioned Apple Music in your question above, but didn't state whether or not you had a subscription to the service. If you do, this resource explains how to use Sonos with your Apple Music Membership:

Using Apple Music on Sonos

Cheers!

play iTunes playlists through Sonos system?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.