Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgraded to OSX 10.9.8 and cannot open iPhoto

I upgraded from OSX 10.7.5 to 10.9.8 and cannot open iPhoto anymore. I do not have the new photos.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 8, 2016 8:25 PM

7 replies

Apr 9, 2016 2:01 AM in response to Yoenne

I do not have the new photos.

The new Photos for Mac is installed by MacOS X 10.10.3 or a newer version.

Which version of MacOS X did you upgrade to? The version number you wrote cannot be right, because the last release of Mavericks MacOS X 10.9 was 10.9.5.

if you are now running any version of MacOS X 10.9. or later, you need at least iPhoto 9.5.1. This has only been available from the Mac App Store, but Apple stopped selling it. You can only update by reinstalling from the AppStore. Do you have an AppStore version of iPhoto or did your iPhoto come on an instller DVD?

Apr 10, 2016 1:20 PM in response to léonie

Right I have 10.9.5. I think IPhoto came with my mac. I tried to get a new version from the Mac App store and could only find 9.4. I downloaded it but cannot install it. The computers I am talking about are a 2011 mac mini that was upgraded from 10.6.8 to 10.9.5 and a small 2012 mac book air that run 10.7.5. So on both computers I need this new version of iPhoto. But I do not remember if there was an installer DVD.

Apr 10, 2016 5:42 PM in response to Yoenne

The new photos for Mac will be available if you upgrade your mac to at least MacOS X 10.10.3 . I would upgrade all the way to MaCOS X 10.11.4, because Photos has been improved in the newest system El Capitan.

I tried to get a new version from the Mac App store and could only find 9.4

Then you looked probably at the Support Downloads page and not the Mac AppStore.

The free updaters are only the earlier versions of iPhoto, that are not compatible with your system. For your system you need iPhoto 9.5.1.

Because Apple is no longer selling iPhoto you cannot download iPhoto installers anymore, if iPhoto is not in your Purchases history at the AppStore. Do you see iPhoto on the fourth tab of the AppStore - Purchases?

upgraded to OSX 10.9.8 and cannot open iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.