Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

6s Plus Touch ID Issue Fix

I recently bought a 6s Plus 128Gb iPhone. The phone works fine but I found sometimes the TouchID seems to deactivate and won't let me open the phone.

I looked at the forums and tried to find a solution but didn't really find an answer. I thought I should add another finger print just to see if it would let me in but the OS wouldn't even let me do this!

Long story cut short, I've found when the phone is connected to the charging cable the TouchID won't work. When I disconnect the phone from the charge cable the TouchID works fine.

I didn't have the same problem on my 5s and I don't know if it is an issue with 6, 6s or SE.

Hope this helps anyone else out there with a similar issue. 😀

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 8, 2016 11:42 PM

6 replies

Apr 10, 2016 11:47 AM in response to Namph

Hi Namph,

It sounds like when you have the phones USB cable attached the Touch ID screen doesn't work. I would start by forcing your phone to restart with the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons:

iOS: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

If the issue persists, backup your device to iTunes, then restore it as new and verify that it works.

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups
If it does, then restore your backup to either verify it still works and the software just needed reinstalled, or isolate the issue to the backup file itself. Thank you for using Apple Support Communities, let us know how that goes!

May 5, 2016 7:31 AM in response to Namph

I appreciate the update! Hmmmm there are a couple other points to try before you make an appointment.

1. Your finger should cover the Home button completely, touching the surrounding metal ring. While Touch ID is scanning, you shouldn't press down hard, tap too quickly, or move your finger around.
  2. If you're using a case or screen protector, make sure it doesn't cover the Home button or the surrounding ring.

May 6, 2016 4:08 AM in response to Namph

I found what the problem is.

Try to connect your phone to the pc with the USB cable, and try to charge it from your pc or laptop, even car and see if the ID touch works now.

The charger must be the original one, from the phone you bought. It it isn,t you can have this issue with the ID touch.

If it still persist with the USB Cable you should change it, and try another charger.

May 6, 2016 4:12 AM in response to Namph

Mihai95 you were right. It only happens with one particular charger. When I use the OEM charger (and a few others) the Touch ID works. 🙂

The charger for which it DID NOT work with, in my case, was an IKEA power board which included 3 power outlets and 2 USB outlets.

Lesson learned.

Thank you Apple community.

Kind regards,

Nampho

6s Plus Touch ID Issue Fix

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.