Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recurrent Bluetooth problem when I connect to Thunderbolt display

Since upgrade to OS X El Capitan, when I reconnect my MacBookPro with a Thunderbolt display the Bluetooth devices (Apple Keyboard and Magic Mouse) do not work and I have to disconnect and do a SMC reset.

The Bluetooth cannot be turned off and on again, it just does not respond. So I always have to close all programs and do a SMC reset.

So that works but it is very annoying, how can I solve this disconnecting problem?

I have OS X El Capitan, version 10.11.3 MacBOok Pro Retina Early 2015 with all updated.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), Thunderbolt Display

Posted on Apr 9, 2016 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2016 7:28 AM

I also have this problem running on a Macbook Pro Retina Late 2015.

Bluetooth preferences shows:

You can't open the "Bluetooth" preferences pane because it is not available to you at this time.

To see this preferences pane, you may need to connect a device to your computer.

And Bluetooth shows up as "Not Available":

User uploaded file

I ran Apple Diagnostic Tool and it told me that I had a defective bluetooth module (hardware issue) and instructed me to contact Apple for a replacement. And so I did.

But the second Macbook I got from them also had this issue. Resetting the SMC is just a temporary workaround.

I'm suspecting it has something to do with the thunderbolt ports. They seems to cause some bluetooth failure when connected/disconnected..

Also, the problem is present in Bootcamp (Windows 10) installation as well. The Bluetooth module shows up as installed but with wrong drivers in "Device Manager".

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2016 7:28 AM in response to Gabriel October

I also have this problem running on a Macbook Pro Retina Late 2015.

Bluetooth preferences shows:

You can't open the "Bluetooth" preferences pane because it is not available to you at this time.

To see this preferences pane, you may need to connect a device to your computer.

And Bluetooth shows up as "Not Available":

User uploaded file

I ran Apple Diagnostic Tool and it told me that I had a defective bluetooth module (hardware issue) and instructed me to contact Apple for a replacement. And so I did.

But the second Macbook I got from them also had this issue. Resetting the SMC is just a temporary workaround.

I'm suspecting it has something to do with the thunderbolt ports. They seems to cause some bluetooth failure when connected/disconnected..

Also, the problem is present in Bootcamp (Windows 10) installation as well. The Bluetooth module shows up as installed but with wrong drivers in "Device Manager".

Jun 26, 2016 9:08 AM in response to Gabriel October

I have the same problem with the same specs as you; on OS X El Capitan, version 10.11.5, on a MacBook Pro Retina Early 2015.

I realise if I start the my MacBook Pro without connecting to the Thunderbolt display first, it will not have the bluetooth problem. But if I start the MacBook Pro with the Thunderbolt display connected, then the bluetooth failure would appear the moment it start up. Also if this happens, if I shut down and start up again with the Thunderbolt display disconnected, then the bluetooth is back to normal without the need to do a SMC reset.

Previously I did the PRAM and SMC reset but the bluetooth error persists.

I am also still looking for a permanent solution better than disconnecting the Thunderbolt display initially. Anyone have any idea?

Aug 4, 2016 2:47 AM in response to Gabriel October

Anyone discover a solution to this? I just replaced a late-2013 15" rMBP with a brand new mid-2015 15" rMBP. The 2013 had no problems connected to the TBD, but like all of you, the 2015 has bluetooth when disconnected, but looses bluetooth when started up connected to the TBD. Very frustrating! Wondering if the new Sierra beta fixes the issue? Then again, the 2013 is being sent with my son to college...maybe I should send the TBD too and replace it with a new monitor and Thunderbolt dock. It's just the convenience of the TBD and all it's ports. And money. Sigh.

Aug 4, 2016 3:32 AM in response to JMcKee

Answering my own question, it does appear that this issue is fixed under Sierra. I should have checked beforehand, because I did have beta 2 on an external drive. With the 2015 15" rMBP connected to the Thunderbolt display running under 10.11.6, I had no bluetooth. I booted into the Sierra beta 2 and had bluetooth. I then updated to beta 3 (while still connected to the TBD) and after the restart, still had bluetooth. So it appears the solution is to wait, or run the beta.

Recurrent Bluetooth problem when I connect to Thunderbolt display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.